Windows 7 CPU Load at max

Hiram

Extraordinary Member
I have an Asus U50F notebook. Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Intel Core i3 CPU M330 @ 2.13 GHz, 4.0GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics.

For the past three days, for no apparent reason, I get frequent intervals of CPU spikes of up to 100% load on both cores. I've checked Task Manager and Process Explorer, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. :confused: This PC has always run at a consistently low RAM usage and core load.

I'm not much of a techy, but any suggestions?

Thanks.

If you are running at 100% cpu consumption the processes tab in task manager should give you some indication of the culprit(s). Are you saying that's where you've looked and nothing shows up?

That's correct. When it starts spiking (every once in a while, and never for a long while), I check and no process shows high CPU.

Right now, the meter/widget I have on the side bar shows both cores fluctuating between 4-11%. I did got to the Task Mgr and the heaviest load is from Firefox at 4-5%. But I checked "show processes fro all users" and System Idle is always around 93-94. Is this normal?

Yes that's completely normal - system idle around 93 - 94 means your cpu is doing nothing most of the time - if it's just spiking occasionally that is also normal so doesn't sound as though you have anything to worry about.

You just seem to know what you're talking about. Now I feel comfortable, and I thank you.

If anything should come up, I'll get back.

Merry Christmas ... and remember: Jesus loves you.

Thanks for the feedback and if you do have any more problems please do get back to us.

Merry Christmas ... and remember: Jesus loves you.
He does indeed - as I tell the congregation at my church every Sunday!

Are you using any type of automatic software? WD Smarware is real crap and a resource hog.
Joe

Hey Joe: I don't have any automatic software that I'm aware of. Like I previously said, Task Mgr and Process Explorer show nothing out of the ordinary.

NOW THEN, after my last post to patcooke (when all seemed all good), I've had some strange happenings. Last night twice and this evening once, while working, and when least expected, my pc just shut down. The second time it happened last night, it was a millisecond after realizing that both cores were at 100% again. As it shut down, I noticed the pc was warmer than usual. When it shut down today (didn't see the CPU meter), the top left of the case was real warm and the side exhaust vent was really blowing extremely warm air.

I haven't been using a fan/pad, because this pc has always run at minimum load and cool. After connecting a cooling pad, the temp has really gone down, the load for both cores has been at a minimum. I am currently using backup software to backup from C to an external drive (just in case), I have a number of folders open, and I'm using Firefox. RAM is at 40%, and CPU load between 3 and 15%.

Can over-heating cause the problem with the CPU load and shutdown, or does CPU load cause over-heating??? Thanks.

EDIT: I just downloaded an app called Core Temp. I think it says temp is between 142-153F! is this possible?

Last edited:
In Process Explorer see if you have DPCs and Interrupts have high usage. Sometimes certain process CPU won't able able to catch in a specific time interval so that usage doesn't go under any other processes. Is it the CPU or CPU Usage ? If the CPU Usage is 100% then you might have problem. But if it's just the CPU don't worry about it.

If you have a specific process that is spiking other than System Idle then Right Click on it and Click on create dump and post it here.

If the System just shuts down that's no good. Temps could be the problem. Open the side panel of your tower if you have a table fan turn it towards the open panel and see if the System shuts down.

Hope this helps,
Captain

Last edited:
Hey Captain:

I was responding to your post a few minutes after you sent it last night, when my pc just shut off. I was so frustrated that I gave up and went to bed.

I checked Process Explorer and did not see anything that said DPC or Interrupt. But then again, I don't really know if I'm looking for the correct thing in the correct place. But I certainly did not see here or in Task Manager anything that I don't see during normal use and maintenance.

I don't have a tower because it's a laptop. But your suggestion got me to look under the hood. I took the cover off of the bottom, to reveal the laptop fan. When I powered it, the fan gave a quick whirl and then stopped. I did a few things, opening a number of programs, including a couple of heavy loaders: Firefox and Zune. The CPU load did not increase (although I only worked for a few minutes). BUT MORE IMPORTANT, IS THE FACT THAT THE FAN WAS NOT RUNNING AT ALL. SHOULDN'T MY LAPTOP FAN BE RUNNING ALL THE TIME? My wife's HP does.

Look forward to help.
Hiram

In the bios you can usually set whether the fan runs constantly or auto which spins up only when hits a certain temp range, you may want to invest in a can of "PC compressed Air duster" and blow out all the dust in the heatsink area (Make sure to leave laptop off for about 5mins after doing so to allow the vapour to evapourate before powering up)

Thanks Highwayman:

I already did the air can thing ... it was clean, anyway. Visited the BIOS, but no where did I see anything about the fan.

Any other suggestions??? God bless.

What do you have for antivirus and security? I had problems with AVG years ago and it took a long time to unravel.
Joe

not to mention the new 2011 AVG update thats got a major glitch as reported on forum a few days back

Hello,

Try to place your Laptop on a cooling pad and see if that helps, If not i would recommend to take it to a IT store have a professional to open the Laptop and check the connection if it's a bad fan replace it. If it cover warranty the contact them. Because running you Laptop with fan can damage other components of your Laptop.

Hope this helps,
Captain

I have Vipre Premium Security. Never had any problem. Nothing else running real-time.

It has been on a cooling pad, Captain. The laptop is under warranty at Best Buy. Taking it in.

Thanks to all.

High cpu load will cause increased heat. High temperatures can cause crashes. Heat problems on a notebook often arise out of the accumilation of dust and fluff in and around the ventilation grills. Take care but see if you can clean them out a bit.

I won't count my chickens before they hatch, but ...

For the past two+ days, I've had no problem with my notebook. Just a little while ago, I felt it getting slightly warm, and then realized that the fan had kicked in and was blowing hot air out. I am also using a cooling pad. The notebook is totally cool to the touch. No matter how many things I do at once, there is almost no CPU load, RAM at min.

Just a question from a novice: I did some maintenance, including registry repair a couple of days ago. Can some bad registry item or other configuration have kept the fan from working???

Then again, I'm not counting the chickens yet. Help me, Lord!

Back