Gigabyte EP43-UD3L motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon HD-4550
1TB Western Digital RE3 HDD
630W Rosewill Green series psu
2Gb (2x1gb) DDR2 Crucial Ballistix Tracer Ram @1066
2 HP 1260i dvd burners
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz

Problems:
im trying to install Windows 7 Enterprise x64. disc boots correctly but hangs before the language selection screen for about 5 minutes. i click next, then install now, and it "loads setup" for about 10 minutes. i select my drive and attempt to install. it spends about half a second on copying files and stalls for a minute or two, then proceeds to expanding files which stays at 0% for a few minutes then the % starts to climb. it crashes at random intervals during the expanding files phase in one of 3 ways:
system lockup where everything sticks and it cant move
a failure in which the screen flashes, and looks somewhat tiled
or a crash where parts of the displaay turn a bright red.

i installed this onto my laptop with the same disc (has a volume license) so the disc is fine.

no luck with removing just one stick of RAM, ive tried using either stick in varied ports.

i thought the GFX card was running too hot, so i switched it out, and it still failed

at first it was the hard drive, then i RMAed it and it still fails on the new one (first drive had errors, 2nd one did not)

tried using different disc drives

tried switching cables

im at my wits end with this PC, XP installed perfectly fine on it, i dont have a vista disc, but seven freakin hates the machine.
any suggestions are welcome.

update, i was able to get win7 x64 installed by plugging in an hdtv instead of my 20' flat panel.

although, even though it boots, i try to run a system rating test, but it gets about 60% through and the display either freezes or tiles.

Back
Top Bottom