Windows 8 creating bootable win8.1 installation media

nichos

Extraordinary Member
Hi,

I have the two files attached below & want to know how to use them to create a bootable win8.1 installation media DVD.

ISO.jpg

Hi,

Where did you get the .ISO file from? If you got on the Internet, it's most likely not going to work.:cry_smile: Microsoft has scrubbed most of the downloadable ISO image files for all versions of Win7 & Win8/Win8.1. I've yet to create one that works with any of the ISO files available in 2015.:bigtongue: In 2014 there were Win7 ISO files that still worked on both DVD & flash drive media. Some of my colleagues here have been able to create a Win10 ISO file, from an existing Win10 system; but, sadly, I have not been able to duplicate this on any testing hardware I have available.

If you do get it to work, please share your solution with us.

Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Not knowing how to proceed I dragged the "ISO" file into a 7mb CD-R.
that's where you went wrong...

1. for usb install grab Rufus (the software, not the band) and follow these instructions.
2. for disc you need something that has a burner function.

p.s. transfer the image to your main system temp before making the install media as external hard drives are very slow they can corrupt making bootable media.

SOLVED

Thanx,

I succeeded by using the "Create Media" in my post #3 but, I directed saving to a 7gb usb flash disk.

Then I booted my spare 500gb XP with that usb flash disk & it installed w8.1 on directly over winXP.

The 5 w8 product key Nos. worked for w8.1 too.

Certain programs like MS Office, Fl.Sim X, G.Earth e.t.c. had to be reinstalled to work.

Nice job, there nichos! :applaud: I've yet to be able to do this on 8.1. I'll give it a try using the ISO image from your link.

You mentioned a 7mb CD-R; I think you meant a 7GB CD-R, or DVD-R, neither of which is correct. CD-R's are 700MB and much too small to contain the 8.1 ISO image file. A DVD-R would have contained the 8.1 ISO image file as a DVD-R disc is 4.7GB. The 8.1 ISO image file is just under 4GB, so it would have fit onto a DVD-R blank disc, but not a CD-R blank disc. This is also why you couldn't get the bootable image to work on a CD-R disc!!

Lastly, the 8.1 ISO image file ONLY puts back Windows 8.1, and not all the driver files for audio, video, BIOS, chipset, network, wifi, webcam, monitor display, etc. etc. You can do this by going to your PC manufacturer's website and downloading all the drivers for 8.1 for your model PC. [for example: support.dell.com or support.hp.com]. This typically takes 1-2 days and requires a high-speed internet connection. If you haven't done so, you should still do it. It actually works better if you install all the drivers for your model PC prior to installing programs, but it should still be able to get most of your internal devices to work ok. No one may have told you this, or you knew about it and just didn't reference it, but it's and important point to be aware of.

Best of luck, :brew:
<<<BBJ>>>

Thank you

And if the PC is home made from bits 5yrs ago ?

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFi,Intel,
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB,
240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB
GDDR3 (PCI-E),WD sata 1T, Corsair TX750M Psu, X45, XPhome/win864

Not sure what you mean, since you've already marked this Thread SOLVED, and stated that you created the Win8.1 flash media.

I might mention that when I tried your link to the Microsoft site, it did not work as that link/site ONLY will create media if you are running Win7/8/8.1 which I do not have on my desktop system. I have Vista, so I got an error message when I tried following their download instructions. I do have other Win7 systems, so will try that later on.

Your main issue will be whether your ASUS Motherboard supports and provides Win8.1 drivers or not. You'll need to check the ASUS website as I mentioned in my previous post. Since you built it prior to the release of Win7, that Motherboard may not support Win8.1. If the ASUS website doesn't have Win8.1 drivers on their support site to download for your model Motherboard, it may not work under 8.1 or only partially work (even more frustrating). Since your Specs state you are running XP Home on that system, you are 7 releases of Windows back (14 years). The hardware you bought may not be compatible with 8.1; if you re-read the Microsoft link you sent us, notice the part about running the MS UPGRADE ASSISTANT.
Have you done this yet with this system???
If not, you should run it; as it will tell you which devices and drivers ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with 8.1. You'll have to remove/replace the devices and or drivers (e.g.: Your Video Card or your RAM sticks), in order to complete the upgrade to 8.1 Furthermore, you'll need a legit Win8.1 Product Key License (or COA) to properly activate your 8.1 upgrade.

The bottom line, is that if ASUS hasn't made drivers available for Win8.1 on their website for your model Motherboard, chances are not very good that it will take the 8.1 upgrade, as the hardware is just too old. If that's the case, I suggest you replace the Motherboard with a more modern Motherboard (Win8.1 compatible), or just build an entirely new PC with more modern parts. This is a problem with upgrading older OEM PCs (OEM: name brand pre-built PCs such as Dell, HP, Gateway) as well; many older XP computers just can't be upgraded to work with Win8.1--mostly 2005 and older, as the hardware just won't support it. 10 years these days is the effective cutoff date for this type of upgrade. Your PC is not that old, but without native support from your Motherboard manufacturer for the 8.1 with drivers, it's not likely to work, sorry to say. :(

Best of luck,
<<<BBJ>>>

Back
Top Bottom