Creating New Partition without Format

Hello to all,

I want to create a new partition out of my primary C drive but without having to format the disk. Is it possible to do so. This partition has a lot of space and therefore I want another partition, but without losing the content on C.

I am using Windows 7 Home Edition

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Acronis Disk Director can do it, there's a free trial (although I'm not sure if the trial has limitations or not, check that before attempting). I've used their software for years and always had a pleasant experience.

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I've used EaseUS as well, it'll do in a pinch, I had issues with uefi partitions using it though, not sure if those are fixed by now.

Hello to all,

I want to create a new partition out of my primary C drive but without having to format the disk. Is it possible to do so. This partition has a lot of space and therefore I want another partition, but without losing the content on C.

I am using Windows 7 Home Edition

Hi, there are two tools for you to manage partition.

One is Disk Management in the computer. "Open Computer"—“Manage”--"Disk Management", then you can see your partition C. Use "Shrink Volume", change the size you want to allocate to the new partition, then you can get a unallocated space, create the new volume. If your computer only has one primary partition—C, this new partition that we created is primary. If you want to create a Logical one, you have to allocate another new volume, then you can get the free space to create a new logical partition.

Another tool is MiniTool Partition Wizard Professional Edition. Use "Move/Resive Partition", you can get a unallocated space, "Create the New Partition"-specify the size and location for the new partition, in the part, you can choose "Logical/ Primary", Drive Letter, Film System and Cluster Size. Click OK, you can see the new partition. It is easy for you to operate it.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.