Windows 7 Cross Plaform Clipboard Manager

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I'm wondering if there is such a manager available that would retain it's content when rebooting into another OS? I understand that I could create a separate document with the data needed, that could then be accessed where ever wanted, but more often than not, I find that too much of a bother. For instance, it would be nice that I could copy a url in Windows, then reboot into Linux, and still have it available to paste into a browser there.

Also, I'm wondering if there is some way to make Windows 7 keep it's clipboard content through a reboot? My manager (Yankee Clipper) has a boiler plate, where one can store data in a fashion to accomplish that, but it isn't automatic, so most of what it contains is lost on reboot.

Last edited:
I hope you could find an answer here. That would be nice.

What I do right now for copying URL to be opened up from another PC or OS is to select the entire address from the address bar and then drag and drop it to a network folder which is shared across my home network drive. But if you don't have a home network drive, you can drag and drop it to a USB flash drive. This way, the USB flash drive works like a physical clipboard. The links can be opened up as many times as you want like a bookmark. :)

drag_url.jpg

drag_url2.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks, that's a good way to put a flash drive to work, but I still would like to have a cliipboard manager like I described, and a way to set Windows clipboard to have total recall.

I was wrong about Yankee Clipper, because it does have a history option, where it retains data after a reboot. Don't know why, but when I had tried in the past, it didn't work, but it did on the test reboot I just did. It would be nice if I could install it on the flash drive, instead of on the system itself, but even if that could be done, I don't know if it could be used in Linux. It's something to play with.

I was wrong about Yankee Clipper, because it does have a history option, where it retains data after a reboot. Don't know why, but when I had tried in the past, it didn't work, but it did on the test reboot I just did. It would be nice if I could install it on the flash drive, instead of on the system itself, but even if that could be done, I don't know if it could be used in Linux. It's something to play with.

I don't think that cross OS (windows to linux) clipboard exists. Both OS speaks different languages. And restarting the PC clears up the temporary memory. This is the kind of job where a network drive works best where you can create a folder with desktop shortcuts on all machines that you own but the data resides on a remote hard drive. That's what I do. I have a shortcut on all my PCs named "Share" (where I also have a subfolder named "Links" for URL shorcuts I showed to you above) which directs to a central folder on a remote hardrive. Everything is just drag and drop.

But I hope someone will come up with a solution you are looking for.

I ran into one clipboard manager that sounds like it might work...Simidude. I'm going to test it with the trial installation and see.

Last edited:
I ran into one clipboard manager that sounds like it might work...Simidude. I'm going to test it with the trial installation and see.

I think I heard that before. It works over network and not memory based like what you wanted. It's like the setup I have right now.

Yes, I'm reading it's help file now, and it appears that's true. Still, since it has installations for Windows, Linux and Mac, and apparently all of those installations can talk to each other on a network, it seems there should be a method to do it across a reboot, if it could be installed to a flash drive, and it had a history function...don't know?

I think that my memory is shot, because I just came across a similar thread I posted a couple months ago on this forum, where you suggested using a portable app on a flash drive. I did a very brief Google and found one, but it appears to only be designed for Windows. There is a remote chance it could be run in Linux with Wine, but I've never had any luck with it in the past. Somehow it seems that once installed on a flash drive, a program could be designed in a fashion that could be run anywhere.

I think that my memory is shot, because I just came across a similar thread I posted a couple months ago on this forum, where you suggested using a portable app on a flash drive. I did a very brief Google and found one, but it appears to only be designed for Windows. There is a remote chance it could be run in Linux with Wine, but I've never had any luck with it in the past. Somehow it seems that once installed on a flash drive, a program could be designed in a fashion that could be run anywhere.

Well, in my opinion, the program is only making things more complicated when it can be done without any programs with USB flash drive where you can copy-paste just about anything. That is if your intention is to use it on the same PC. But across PCs, a network is really a requirement.

I just tried it, and it worked fine as long as I remained on one OS, but not after rebooting. I'm assuming that is because it set a cookie in the browser for reference in the first OS, and another in the second. I would have thought that would be overcome by setting a password, but it didn't. I haven't quite given up on it, but have to wait a bit to keep experimenting, because I have updates running in Suse.

While it may be useful, it doesn't appear to be the solution I was looking for, because I can't open to the same page in both OSs. It has a button to change the url of the page, but when I copied the one from Windows into Linux, it said that it was unavailable, even though I used the same password in both. It's a shame, because it came so close to being an answer.

I didn't try it in Windows, but I just did in Suse, and using a flash drive in the manner ;you described doesn't work too well, because it didn't save what I drug from the browser's address field as an internet shortcut, like it did for you. It just saved it as a text file. I thought that may have been because I named it without a url extension, but when I tried again, it used a different icon to repesent it, but I don't know what as. Clicking it just opened it in an editor, as it did with the text file though. Of course, that could serve the purpose, but not as smoothly as I would like.

I didn't try it in Windows, but I just did in Suse, and using a flash drive in the manner ;you described doesn't work too well, because it didn't save what I drug from the browser's address field as an internet shortcut, like it did for you. It just saved it as a text file. I thought that may have been because I named it without a url extension, but when I tried again, it used a different icon to repesent it, but I don't know what as. Clicking it just opened it in an editor, as it did with the text file though. Of course, that could serve the purpose, but not as smoothly as I would like.

It doesn't save as html file on linux but rather just a text file. If you double click on the text file it will show you the URL in text. You can just select the entire text , right-click and select "Go to http://....". That's the only work around with it.

There is a web browser plug-in for Google Chrome or Firefox that will save web pages and you can instantly access it from another computer with a web browser that has the same add-on installed. The browser app used to be called "Read-it-Later" and now called "Pocket". It's just a matter of clicking the icon on your web browser and then you can instantly jump to another computer to open the site.

Here's the plug-in for FireFox: http://getpocket.com/firefox/
Read more about it: http://getpocket.com/apps/desktop/

I have a Google Chrome installed on my Linux laptopn and Windows PC with the add-on installed on both. You just need to create an account because the pages are saved on the cloud.

This is a screenshot from Linux PC where I have the Pocket plug-in installed:

Screenshot.jpeg

And when you open getpocket.com (add to your bookmark), you will see the list of the web pages you saved.

pc1.png

it's very convenient if you run into something interesting to read on but you don't have time. You can just save it for later.

Last edited:
I can't remember if that was the name, but I did come across either it or something similar a couple of days ago, but in the comments I read about it, it didn't work in the current version of Firefox. This may be a totally different add on, because I read nothing about it being for Chrome as well. In either case, I'm not too interested, because it apparently wasn't for Opera... I know, just call me stubborn. I may still try it out on Firefox, because I use it as a backup on Linux. Can't say the same thing for in Windows though.

I went ahead and installed pocket, but when clicking the fox head, it just opens a windows saying that there isn't anything in my list. What do I have to do to save a webpage...copy/paste it into the field in that window?

Back