Windows 7 Ctrl-break does not stop ping

Rusky

Honorable Member
Ctrl+C does not stop ping

Very strange and annoying little issue.

If I have a running ping going I cannot stop it using ctrl+c, it works everywhere else.

Win7 x64

Last edited:
What you say seems to be correct, so what did you use to start the ping? I assume you are doing this in a command prompt window.

What you say seems to be correct, so what did you use to start the ping? I assume you are doing this in a command prompt window.

Yes, in cmd and any ping command
ping 4.2.2.1 -t

The only way I can stop it is by closing the cmd window

oh lol , i see , didnt say it at first n i was like eh

try CTRL + pause/break

there is abutton that says pause and break... try that

oh lol , i see , didnt say it at first n i was like eh

try CTRL + pause/break

there is abutton that says pause and break... try that

All it does is insert the ping statistics but the ping keeps going.
Just to give you my background, please don't take it as bragging or anything like that but I have been in the IT field for many years, I just can't seem to figure this out lol.

oh its fine, i just dont want to give any informatoin that sounds too complex and confuse people , if you know about IT then excellent... Have you considered making a batch with SET command? then you at least you can define the address and then output the results to a text file ?

That's more complicated that I want to go with getting ctrl+c working, it's nothing critical I just don't want to keep having to close my command prompt when I get a running ping going.

I'm just wondering what could possibly made it stop working. I know it's not OS related because it works on any other Win 7 x64 Ultimate that I've used it on. If there isn't a setting or registry hack that anyone knows about then it must be software related. I believe I saw it mentioned somewhere that anti-virus could be the cause, I use Vipre myself.

You have tried that key combination in other circumstances and it does work?

Do you run anything that might be altering a specific key, possibly under specific circumstances?

You might try going to Control Panel - Ease of Access - Make keyboard easier to use and turn on Sticky Keys. Perhaps being able to hit the keys one at a time might help, in case there is a timing issue.

New keyboard driver?

Edit: Does it make a difference if the system has been asleep or after a cold boot?

Last edited:
scripts are easy to make , but if thats the goal then fine.

you can always replace the -t to -n X

X = the amount you want to ping by

so
ping wwww.google.com -n 20
would ping 20 times then SHOULD STOP

Yes, ctrl+c/v does it's indented copy/paste.
Nothing altering the keys and I can't image it would just alter the behavior for cmd and nothing else.
I really don't think it's a driver issue, again it would affect other things.
I don't every put my PC to sleep/hibernate, it's always after a cold boot or restart.

scripts are easy to make , but if thats the goal then fine.
you can always replace the -t to -n X

X = the amount you want to ping by

so
ping wwww.google.com -n 20
would ping 20 times then SHOULD STOP

Don't get my wrong, I LOVE scripts, I have an entire folder of them.
Yes, using the -n switch will stop it after a set amount of times but I was hoping to find the root cause of the issue.

I know it's a very bizarre issue and fully expect not to find a fix for it

for me personally the only thing i can think of is if powershell is used?

other members may have other ideas please wait

for me personally the only thing i can think of is if powershell is used?

other members may have other ideas please wait

Nope, not using powershell.

Oh I'll wait and keep searching but I haven't found anything yet so I'm not hopefully...keep the suggestions coming though