Windows 7 Currupt registry need help with command prompt

Aren

So I turned my pc on today and found out I've got a corrupted registry. The computer won't let me boot into windows normally. I can only boot into the system recovery option. I tried a system restore but that did not work. I read on a different thread that the best solution is to reinstall windows. I wish I didn't have to go that route because I have a lot of data that has not been backed up. But, if that's what I have to do then I want to know how I can use command prompt to transfer my files to an external hard drive.

I'm running the newest version of windows 7 release candidate.

All help is appreciated.

How do you know it's the registry, what message do you receive. Did you use some tyoem of Registry cleaner or optimization tool?

A simple solution is to do a System Restore to yesterday's date when it was working correctly.

Hit F8 to get into Sage Mode or recovery options to do this. Depenfding on ther manufacturerof your computer, you should have a recovery Console of the StartMenu.

Last edited:
I will echo Reghakr's query. Unless there is some particular thing you are aware of, why single out the registry?

Another way you can recover your privat data is to boot up with a "live" CD. There are many free dowloads on the web. You could then copy your data and go for the reinstall.
It does sound as though the recovery option has become the default in the start manager. This can be fixed by booting up with your original installation DVD and selecting the repair startup option

Sorry I wasn't clear. I know my registry is corrupt because I ran the startup repair and it failed. So I checked the log and that's where it said the registry is corrupt.

What was the exact error message and have you made any major adjournments to your system,

Did you try the other's suggestions?

If you have no registry backup you probably just need to use Xcopy and backup your work files and photos to another hard drive and re-install.

Were you trying to optimize your registry with 3rd party software? Any idea how it got corrupted?

You know its so easy to make a backup of your registry... takes about 5 seconds if you run this command:

Press Winkey + R and enter "regedit /E c:\RegistryBackup.reg"

Excuse me, but you don't seem to be answering any of my questions.

That's what help is all about.

Share your information, don't just keep asking questions.:)

Excuse me, but you don't seem to be answering any of my questions.

That's what help is all about.

Share your information, don't just keep asking questions.:)

Who is "you" and what's this stuff about the temperature in Erie? Are you posting to the right thread?

You and I have been trying to help this guy who thinks his registry is corrupt. He got some message but didn't give any details and he doesn't seem to know if he has a backup that can be restored.... on top of that he wants to copy his files to another drive before he reinstalls but doesn't know how to do that.

Hey,

Sorry posted in the wrong thread.

I think I'm entitled to make a mistake every once in a while.

Hey,

Sorry posted in the wrong thread.

I think I'm entitled to make a mistake every once in a while.

Ok... but you have used your one pardon for the week. Tighten up over there. Windows 7 hits the shelves in 3 days. There will probably be a few more problmes to solve... so bring your "A" game.

Sorry, Off topic again. I would also love to follow up I am in another country on holliday. My friend/host has a really badly configured modem connecton. This message will probably take about five minutes to post - lol . I think I might have to say - See you people in ten days. Cheers.

I took my hard drive out and connected it it to a windows xp laptop through usb. It showed my hard drive but I could not explore the contents. The weird thing is I can hear the disks spinning, but I have come to the conclusion that it is officially dead.

Is there a cheap way of recovering the data?

I took my hard drive out and connected it it to a windows xp laptop through usb. It showed my hard drive but I could not explore the contents. The weird thing is I can hear the disks spinning, but I have come to the conclusion that it is officially dead.

Is there a cheap way of recovering the data?

Hdd Regenerator has saved a few drives for me. The drive has to spin and show up.

Back