Windows 7 "D: Recovery" Partition

rusty

So I have Vista Home Premium at the moment but I plan to migrate to Win 7 Ultimate soon. I have this Recovery partition of 15 GB in my HDD that is apparently for when Vista crashes or for troubleshooting. My question is, when I go to Win7 (using clean install), can I still use that recovery partition? What can I make out of it that can serve useful?

Last edited:
So I have Vista Home Premium at the moment but I plan to migrate to Win 7 Ultimate soon. I have this Recovery partition of 15 GB in my HDD that is apparently for when Vista crashes or for troubleshooting. My question is, when I go to Win7 (using clean install), can I still use that recovery partition? What can I make out of it that can serve useful?

Assuming you might want to reinstall Vista (gag) that recovery partition is the only recourse you have since you got that in lieu of an install disk (many manufacturers do that to save a buck). If that is your fall-back position, keep the partition around.

Assuming you might want to reinstall Vista (gag) that recovery partition is the only recourse you have since you got that in lieu of an install disk (many manufacturers do that to save a buck). If that is your fall-back position, keep the partition around.

Thank you for the really helpful information. I might want to keep it around for now, just in case the installation takes an unfortunate course and makes a mess out of my machine, then I will be able to reinstall Vista with the partition. If everything goes well with the partition and I have no more need of Vista around, I will then take care of it. Thank you again. +REP

Back