Windows 8 Daylight Savings Time

Joe S

Excellent Member
Did anybody else notice incorrect daylight savings time adjustment? My display was advanced 2 hours instead of one. I had to reset it manually.
Joe

I had to choose a different time server (time-nw.nist.gov) but it worked when I did an auto set up (I also had not noticed the wrong time zone when I re-installed yesterday.)

It's strange clock I have in the corner is a gadget ant that was correct and I looked down in the corner and noticed that time was off by an hour there.
Joe

I had to choose a different time server (time-nw.nist.gov) but it worked when I did an auto set up (I also had not noticed the wrong time zone when I re-installed yesterday.)
I didn't notice it either, until I rebooted and seen those huge clock numbers. I then went in & fixed it. Probably will be one of the things fixed before RTM.

What would really be great (IMO) is to set the time to DST nationwide & leave it as such. There is one state, I believe Indiana, that does this, or so I have been told. I don't see the point in switching the time back & forth twice a year. If it were something that had to be done, in order to keep the days & nights in order, I could see it. But it's not.

Cat

Cat
Indiana is a mess. It's in 2 time zones and on top of that not all areas follow daylight savings time! There are some cities the time zone passes through. Just walk across a street and you are in a different time zone.
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's screwed up, and I mean badly. Either the entire state needs to go with DST statewide, or go with the flow of the rest of the country. The one who told me this didn't tell me that part of the deal.

I still feel that if DST were the standard nationwide, it would be better for everyone. We have enough to keep up with in our lives, leaving the time at DST would be better for all. That way, at least most day time workers (9AM to 5PM) would get home before dark, and those who works 12 hour night shifts wouldn't have to work 13 hours on the 1st Saturday night of November.

Those are just 2 reasons, along with the computer time keeping issue, I'm sure others has other reasons for wanting nationwide DST year round.

Cat

It's not too bad for us old folks, who like to sleep late anyway, but how about those Kindergarteners, that have to go out in pitch black NIGHT to get to their school bus in the morning.
Thank God, my 5 year old neighbor girl has family members who can take her to meet her school bus in the morning and bring her home at night.

When I was five, I walked six blocks to school every morning, rain or snow, etc.
Thank God we didn't have DST in those days. At least, I got to walk it in daylight.

Any PC with their MS updates, up to date, should make the transition with no problems. My PC did!

With 14 clocks and 16 PC's to update, it may be weeks before I'm done. lol

Doc :cool:

It's not too bad for us old folks, who like to sleep late anyway, but how about those Kindergarteners, that have to go out in pitch black NIGHT to get to their school bus in the morning.
Thank God, my 5 year old neighbor girl has family members who can take her to meet her school bus in the morning and bring her home at night.

When I was five, I walked six blocks to school every morning, rain or snow, etc.
Thank God we didn't have DST in those days. At least, I got to walk it in daylight.

Any PC with their MS updates, up to date, should make the transition with no problems. My PC did!

With 14 clocks and 16 PC's to update, it may be weeks before I'm done. lol

Doc :cool:
About the same here, 17 Windows installs to update, not counting any VM's, nor my 3 Linux installs. Fortunately, I depend upon my cell phone for the time, it's good at keeping it. As for the DVD player clock that connects to the TV, all one has to do is switch it to "TV" mode for a minute, it adjusts itself. Somehow, through the local PBS channel, this happens.

Cat

I just noticed that same exact behavior this morning. My laptop is running Win 8 Pro (just bought and installed it last week) and it showed the time at 11am while my cell, set top box showed 10am correctly. I had to manually adjust it. I have another PC running Windows 8 and it had the correct adjustment. Weird.

Hi

Personally I think it's time to stop having DST, it was created for a time when people didn't have electric lights and worked on the farm until late in the evening.

Now it doesn't really make much difference other them making my dog nag me for his dinner at the wrong time.

Every time it changes my sleep patterns for weeks before I get used to it.

I remember when the Drive In Movie industry was lobbying against it because it meant that they had to start the movies an hour later.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Google for it. It is a fascinating story. It was proposed by an insect collector, who had a day job. He wanted more time to collect his damned insects after work!
Then, in World war 1, it was introduced in Europe, (I think mainly by the British) as a means to cut electricity bills. Adopted randomly in the US, but not made mandatory. Hence the confusion over there.
It has no particular value today. people stay up late anyway, watching TV and other modern entertainment's. I empathise wioth the remark regarding schoolchildren (and others) , but maybe those isolated problems, if that is how they are seen, could be rectified by changing the school or work hours twice a year?

Mine did the same thing. I thought is was because I was switching between Windows 8 and Windows 7, but maybe not.

Hopefully, the internet time checker will catch it eventually.

Back