Windows 10 Default setting for media and device on windows 10

reynald pierre

Hello,

After installation of windows 10 on my laptop (and keeping also my previous windows 7), I can't play DVDs and CDs. I went to control panel and Autoplay to re-define how to play the medias, that does not work. If I put a CD or a DVD, it is rejected. What can I do to solve that, please?

Henng

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the free VLC player doesn't have all the codecs necessary to play older DVD movies for example, WALL-E, Polar Express, The Matrix Trilogy and many others.:waah: Neither does the Microsoft Media Player that they want $14.99 for on the Microsoft App Store.:waah: I went through this all last year (2016) trying to run my laptop for a movie event we put on her in my Park. Also, and this will be a real timesaver for you, NONE of the other free apps found by Google or Yahoo search engines worked on any of the above movies either!:furious:

Since Microsoft removed the software you need to play both DVD movies and Music CDs from W10 this has been an ongoing problem. :headache: The only software that anyone has mentioned that works with all of those is the Cyberlink PowerDVD player software. It lists from $80-$100 online, I found it here at Amazon for $43.44 US; quite a bargain. I have many other projects going on and I haven't had time to test it with my entire movie and music libraries; but others here have and it's the only one that will do the job! (Kudos to brkkab for telling us this:applaud:). Here's a link to get it on Amazon: Amazon.com: Cyberlink PowerDVD 16 Ultra: Software

You can also google it and some of my previous posts on this topic will come up (I tried it), so you can see this problem has been around now for several months. W10 Insider Testers recommended to Microsoft that they put this player or Microsoft's WMP (Windows Media Player) back into W10 into the W10 Creators Update that came out earlier this week on 4/11. Word is that Microsoft still chose to leave that capability out and tell people to download either a free player such as VLC or purchase their Media Player on the Microsoft App Store as mentioned above for $14.99 and neither will work in many instances!:down:

Hope this proves helpful. By the way, you can go to Microsoft Community Forums and sign in with a free account, go to their feedback page and ask them to put back the free Media Player they removed into the next major W10 update!:lightbulb:

Best of luck to you,:encouragement: :clover:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :brew: :usa:

Back