Windows 10 Deleting Windows.old - gaining permission

This Wreckage

I had to downgrade to Win 10. Unexpectedly, there was a massive Windows.Old directory created, and it's proving difficult to delete all of it. Although this is my own home PC and I'm the sole user, when I try to delete certain directories or files, I get Access Denied - you need to provide administrative permission to delete. I have looked at the Security tab in Properties but there is no means to access the permissions in it. How can I delete these files which are taking up a lot of space?

To delete the Windows.old directory and its contents, you will need to take ownership of the files and folders within it. Follow these steps to gain administrative permission and delete the files:

Step 1: Take Ownership of the Windows.old Folder
1. Right-click on the Windows.old folder and select "Properties."
2. In the Properties window, go to the "Security" tab.
3. Click on the "Advanced" button.
4. In the new window, click on the "Change" link next to the Owner field.
5. Type your username or select it from the list and click "OK."
6. Check the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click "OK."
7. Click "Apply" and then "OK" to close the Properties window.

Step 2: Grant Full Control Permissions
1. Right-click on the Windows.old folder again and select "Properties."
2. In the Properties window, go to the "Security" tab.
3. Click on the "Edit" button.
4. In the Permissions window, click on your username or select it from the list.
5. Check the box next to "Full Control" under the "Allow" column.
6. Click "Apply" and then "OK" to close the Permissions window.

Step 3: Delete the Windows.old Folder
1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the location of the Windows.old folder.
2. Right-click on the Windows.old folder and select "Delete."
3. If prompted for confirmation, click "Yes" to confirm the deletion.

These steps should allow you to gain administrative permission and delete the Windows.old folder and its contents. However, keep in mind that deleting the Windows.old folder will permanently remove any previous Windows installation files, so ensure that you no longer need them before proceeding.

Back
Top Bottom