Windows 7 Dell Dimension 4600 Clean Windows 7 Install - NO SOUND

kimmk3

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and recently had a clean install of Windows 7 done by a large box store (I won't list names at this point). They told me that the system was compatible however, when I got it home and several hundred dollars later, we have no sound. I am a little techy, but have not been able to locate a driver to work, The store has been unresponsive since they have been paid. Can anyone help?

Dimension 4600i sound problem

I also have a 4600i and have done a clean install of Windows 7. My PC has SoundMAX on-board audio. How about yours? When I checked for updates, from Microsoft, the driver for this hardware was offered as "optional"... have you looked at that?

If not, check the Dell website and download the driver for "Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio". Although it is for XP it might work on Windows 7.

Good luck.

Mike

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and recently had a clean install of Windows 7 done by a large box store (I won't list names at this point). They told me that the system was compatible however, when I got it home and several hundred dollars later, we have no sound. I am a little techy, but have not been able to locate a driver to work, The store has been unresponsive since they have been paid. Can anyone help?

Have you visited Dell's siye for udated drivers?

Vista drivesr mat work as well.

Give this link atry :
Link Removed - Invalid URL

No dice,

I also have the same setup as the fellas above. I've tried all four of the drivers that Dell offers for this model, and all have been incompatible. I've also been fully updated through Windows Update, and have checked for any optional updates.

OK guys, looks like we all have different configurations in our 4600's doesn't it, otherwise we'd all have sound working and not only me, it seems!

What sound "chip" do you have? Let's start with that!

Mike

I also have a 4600i and have done a clean install of Windows 7. My PC has SoundMAX on-board audio. How about yours? When I checked for updates, from Microsoft, the driver for this hardware was offered as "optional"... have you looked at that?

If not, check the Dell website and download the driver for "Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio". Although it is for XP it might work on Windows 7.

Good luck.

Mike

I have searched and tried all the XP and Vista drivers from Dell's website. I have also been through all the Window's updates and still no luck. I think I am about ready to challenge the cost of the pc upgrade and get my money back and buy a new sound card. Thank you all for your thoughts. Good luck with your situations!

I updated the information that you asked for. If you have any ideas, I would like to try them out before I go an invest in a new sound card. I also noted that the DVD and CD Roms have the little exclamation point next to them as well.

We've experiencing problem with DVD-ROM.

Can toy plat DVD's or CD's?

How old is your computer?

kimm3k3,

It's almost ridiculous to anser these questions when two more peiole have added to it.

How old is thsi system, you omlu have 128MB video card on board...........very cheap.You can't even get Aero effects out of tat cidei card

A sound Blaster 5.1 channel surround isn't even supported any more.

I wouldn'y pay $1.00.0 for this computer, its simply too old and has cheap comploments.

I would sue the persion who "upgraded" this computer for you.

mlhif, I need moredetailed informatiom on your system

Could you please fill in your computer specs in the UserCP link at the top left hand side of the page.

Then click Edit Your Details.

This freeware program will give you all the information you will need:

SIV (System Information Viewer) 4.03

heres what u do first go into control panel device manager and uninstall multimedia controller and pci input device then turn off your computer and the power supply unplug cord from computer and press and hold power button for about five seconds, open the left side of the case exposing the hard ware remove soundblaster live sound card by unscrewing it and unpluging the cable to it, after the card is removed take that cable and plug it directly into the motherboard its a white slot under the last pci slot about an inch long. but it all back together and power the machine, when the splash screen appears press f2 repeatly until it takes u to bios, once inside bios scroll down to intergrated devices enter and where it says sound select on by pressing eighter left or right arrow key press esc twice save and exit, your system will boot go to dell.com and download drivers for chipset and for intergrated sound and install walah! sound on windows 7!

hey guys i just installed windows 7 pro on my dell dimension 4600 p4 2.8 ghz cpu/3gb ddr ram/ gefoce 6600gt oc graphics card and i to also have sound blaster live 5.1 surround sound model sb0220/ct4830. i went to their web site and downloaded their patch and driver and it works great. all i hear is negative things about this card and how it won't work on windows 7 but i also heard that this old dell wouldn't run windows 7. yeah it ain't no clocker but i runs real well. have built some fast game boxes for fsx and had to try windows 7 on this box just to see. no complaints at all. not everyone can afford a new pc everytime a new os appears.just my opinion and 2 cents. poorguy

I own a dell demension 4600 also i have upgraded the ram to 4 gigs, the cpu to 3.02, a nvidia geForce 6200 agp graphics card, i know i will be needing a sound card, what would you recommend. What i am looking to do is install windows 7 home premium. I seem to have all of the necessary hardware to do this install. Will I need to purchase a new copy of windows 7 home premium. I already own several other computers with windows 7 running on them. I was just wondering if it will work like when I pop an XP disc in a pc and it just lets me install windows. If its going to cost me more than 150 I would rather just let this pc live out its lifespan running what it currently is. But I don't mind overcoming a few hurdles to install 7 as long as it is not going to get too costly and the troubleshooting becomes too time consuming. Any help would be appreciated

I own a dell demension 4600 also i have upgraded the ram to 4 gigs, the cpu to 3.02, a nvidia geForce 6200 agp graphics card, i know i will be needing a sound card, what would you recommend. What i am looking to do is install windows 7 home premium. I seem to have all of the necessary hardware to do this install. Will I need to purchase a new copy of windows 7 home premium. I already own several other computers with windows 7 running on them. I was just wondering if it will work like when I pop an XP disc in a pc and it just lets me install windows. If its going to cost me more than 150 I would rather just let this pc live out its lifespan running what it currently is. But I don't mind overcoming a few hurdles to install 7 as long as it is not going to get too costly and the troubleshooting becomes too time consuming. Any help would be appreciated
hey gwiz131, i would first see if my current sound card would be picked up by w7. if not try the sound cards own web site to see if they have a patch. i was lucky and creative audio had one. you will more than likely have to force load through the trouble shoot compadablity mode. if you cannot and have to buy a sound card i wood buy a brand called rosewell. they seem to be a good solid reliable company and resonably priced. i have also gone to small independeant pc shops and see what they might have. seems like the hardware makers don't care about what we have already bought from them or that we have a new working driver for a new os. can't say how much an os cd will cost you depends on how good of a hunter you are. as far as installing it plce in cd rom and boot from cd rom and it should takeoff and install with very little user help. hpe this helps and let me know what you find. poorguy

Before I start hunting for sound cards and drivers, what is the first step I would take to see if my system is compatible with 7. If it is how do I install the drivers? Are they the same ones specific to my service tag on my 4600 ? This seems very easily possible, alot of posts are discouraging me against installing 7 but if the PC can handle it why not. Also can it be any windows 7 disc previously used to boot on other PC's. Thanks again

- Gina

Before I start hunting for sound cards and drivers, what is the first step I would take to see if my system is compatible with 7. If it is how do I install the drivers? Are they the same ones specific to my service tag on my 4600 ? This seems very easily possible, alot of posts are discouraging me against installing 7 but if the PC can handle it why not. Also can it be any windows 7 disc previously used to boot on other PC's. Thanks again

- Gina

ok gwiz131, you can dwnload the windows 7 upgrade tool that microsoft has to see if your pc meets the requirements. i have very little faith in that upgrade adviser. from your earlier post on your pc specs they are close to my same specs. if you can get a w7 cd then just go ahead and run it. it should work. alot of posts that i read said not to do it but i have also read alot of post that say w7 will run on any pc that runs xp. i just went ahead and ran the w7 cd and then opened my device manager to see what other drivers that i needed. only one was a sound card driver. install the os and do not activate it until you are sure that you are happy with the install, you do have 30 days to play with it. even if you already own a w7 cd that is all used up just call microsoft and they will probaly let you squeeze another activation from it. i have read and checked alot of post on this topic some were positive most were not however the only way that would know is to go ahead and try it. i was surprised at how good it runs. this is the only way to really know. as far as the w7 cd acording to microsoft one coa tag per tower, however we all know the truth about that one. once you know what drivers you need and you can find them they will install themselves and if not you will have to use the trouble shoot copadabilty mode which is not hard to do. hope all this helps my best advise is if you already have the w7 cd go ahead and run it you will know for certain. keep me posted. poorguy

- Gina

hey gwiz131, just thought i would see what you decided to do. i also found out your graphics card needs to support direct x 9.0 so that aero will be supported. although not nessasary. have not heard anything so i thought i would see what you decided to do. poorguy

Back