Windows 7 Dell Dimension 4600 Clean Windows 7 Install - NO SOUND

Hey again,

I'm going to give it a shot. being that this i'snt my primary pc, if it dosent work out I can always put XP back on. I actually just backed up everything I needed which isn't much to an external drive. I just pop the w7 disc in now, and it will find my drivers for me. seems too easy??

The sound drivers in my device manager say SoundMAX integrated digital audio ( I know the card is integrated into the mobo)

The sound drivers in my device manager say SoundMAX integrated digital audio ( I know the card is integrated into the mobo)

hey gwhiz131, more than likely you will be able to get your sound driver. once all is installed it should give you a solution and then just do what it says. also it may seem forever for the w7 to load and install but just be paticent with it and do not give up. from your specs in an earlier message i am pretty sure that it will run fine. as far as antivirus i would recommend something lite. i am into the freeware. i like ad aware free. yeah it is an on demand scanner but it is pretty good, however you use what you are comfortable with because their are many choices to choose from. for antimalware you just cannot beat superantispyware free edition or malwarebytes free edition.let me know the outcome and as i said before do not activate until you are satisfied that it all works because you do have 30 days before you have to activate. poorguy

Hey poorguy,

I popped a copy of 7 in and went to the boot menu to run from cd and it gave me the following information

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix this problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next"
3. Click "repair" your computer

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe.

Info: Attempting to load a 64 bit application, however this cpu is not compatible with 64 bit mode

:(

Hey poorguy,

I popped a copy of 7 in and went to the boot menu to run from cd and it gave me the following information

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix this problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next"
3. Click "repair" your computer

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe.

Info: Attempting to load a 64 bit application, however this cpu is not compatible with 64 bit mode

:(
hey gwiz, ok your copy of w7 is a 64 bit and your processor or motherboard will not run a 64bit OS. can you get a 32bit OS cd. if so it should run. i did not even think that the cd you have was a 64bit OS. sorry to hear that. let me know if you can find a 32bit OS cd. poorguy

hey gwiz, did some info search and these dell dimension 4600 that we have seem to only be able to run a 32bit OS. i know this is not good news. if possible maybe you can run across a 32bit OS cd. again sorry to hear that. hey at least you were willing to give it a try. poorguy

Hey Poorguy,

I got my hands on a copy of a 32 bit 7 Ultimate installed no problem. It's actually running faster than XP home edition I had on it. With regards to the sound driver you were correct what do I next? Completely blown away im even running this OS super excited !!

Hey Poorguy,

I got my hands on a copy of a 32 bit 7 Ultimate installed no problem. It's actually running faster than XP home edition I had on it. With regards to the sound driver you were correct what do I next? Completely blown away im even running this OS super excited !!

hey gwiz, cool, ok once all is installed and sound driver is in let it install updates. go ahead and install them by going to the update window it is a little quicker. once all of your updates are installed including system pack 1 then install your choice of antivirus. once that is installed then all your adobe readers/flashplayers/shockwave/java/silverlight/etc. do not activate until you are satisfied that all is working the way you want it to. you have 30 days to play with it before you have to activate DON'T BE IN A HURRY to activate. i always run new installs out to the end 29 to 30 days just to make certain that all is right. whatever you want to run on this, install it before the 30 days is up to make certain all is good.don,t forget your antivirus and antimalware. it does feel good to do what alot say cannot be done, to me i just do it and then i know the real outcome. to many others have already done this and it will run fine. let me know. poorguy

Hey again poorguy,

The copy of windows7 Ultimate I installed I happened to "find", just booted like usual from an iso burned to a cd I failed to mention this in my previous post. can I go to update... Could I just hit microcenter or a a pc store and purchase a PCI sound card. Its telling me there are 57 important updates and 37 optional. Gina

Last edited:
Hey again poorguy,

The copy of windows7 Ultimate I installed I happened to "find", just booted like usual from an iso burned to a cd I failed to mention this in my previous post. can I go to update... Could I just hit microcenter or a a pc store and purchase a PCI sound card. Its telling me there are 57 important updates and 37 optional. Gina

hey gwiz, if you are seeing the 57 important updates then go ahead and install them. as far as the optional you should be able to check those that you want to install. i believe that most of them are different languages that unless you need i would not install. look through the optional updates and find your sound card and check it and it should install. also open your action center the little flag bottom left on task bar and see if a solution is available. if so follow instructions. i would advise you to install all important updates first and the read carefully the optional updates as needed. you can always come back and tackle the sound card problem afterwards. if it is a sound max you should not have a problem finding a driver for it. i think it will turn up on its own. for now just install the important updates. the fact that your cd is an iso should not matter if you have already have w7 installed. if the cd is still in the drive remove it and it should boot and run fine for you to install udates. let me know. poorguy

hey gwiz, if you are seeing the 57 important updates then go ahead and install them. as far as the optional you should be able to check those that you want to install. i believe that most of them are different languages that unless you need i would not install. look through the optional updates and find your sound card and check it and it should install. also open your action center the little flag bottom left on task bar and see if a solution is available. if so follow instructions. i would advise you to install all important updates first and the read carefully the optional updates as needed. you can always come back and tackle the sound card problem afterwards. if it is a sound max you should not have a problem finding a driver for it. i think it will turn up on its own. for now just install the important updates. the fact that your cd is an iso should not matter if you have already have w7 installed. if the cd is still in the drive remove it and it should boot and run fine for you to install udates. let me know. poorguy

ok my mistake. "open action center the little flag bottom right on task bar".

Poorguy,

WOW and let me say again WOW... the $250 ive put into this computer to learn hardware and software has been a priceless experience. with regards to hardware installs, software installs, OS, installs, and basic networking Not only did I basically learn how to build a PC by taking this computer apart and rebuilding it. I did what insurmountable posts told me not to. And my backup desktop is now as fully functional as my laptop I bought last year with the exception of the P4... nothing I can do about that though :). If people only knew that the 1k+ Dell they bought in 2003 could still be running on point today they might not be so turned off to computers. I also have a dimension 2400 maxed specs makes me want to run out and throw a little agp card in it for 50 bucks especially with the results I got. - Gina

Last edited:
Poorguy,

WOW and let me say again WOW... the $250 ive put into this computer to learn hardware and software has been a priceless experience. with regards to hardware installs, software installs, OS, installs, and basic networking Not only did I basically learn how to build a PC by taking this computer apart and rebuilding it. I did what insurmountable posts told me not to. And my backup desktop is now as fully functional as my laptop I bought last year with the exception of the P4... nothing I can do about that though :). If people only knew that the 1k+ Dell they bought in 2003 could still be running on point today they might not be so turned off to computers. I also have a dimension 2400 maxed specs makes me want to run out and throw a little agp card in it for 50 bucks especially with the results I got. - Gina

hey gwiz, i will take that as all is good. poorguy

hey gwiz, i will take that as all is good. poorguy

hey all, i know this is a windows 7 web site but after installing w7 on my dell dimension 4600 and having a WEI 3.9 i had to see how well vista home premium would run. i was totaly amazed and surprized. it runs even faster and has a WEI 4.2 which i don't understand because if it is really as slow and hardware hog as i have heard then why do i see a higher WEI score then that on my w7. same desktop and hardware on dual boot. perhaps windows 7 is a hardware hog. if w7 is a lighter version of vista then it should use less memory and cpu. just thought i would try to see what i would find out about the two OS both being 32bit/p4 2.8ghz 800mhz HT/3.0gb ddr ram/geforce 6600 oc gt 128mb agp 8x graphics card. i was amazingly surprized at my findings and satisfied. just my own experience and 2 cents. poorguy

Now a days there are so many sites are available for providing drivers online. I suggest you that search on that may be you can find the proper driver for you laptop sound.

hey softonsale thanks for a response but i do not even own a laptop. my dell dimension 4600 is a desktop and all of my drivers have been found. thanks anyway. poorguy

hey gwiz131, just thought i would see what you decided to do. i also found out your graphics card needs to support direct x 9.0 so that aero will be supported. although not nessasary. have not heard anything so i thought i would see what you decided to do. poorguy

OK THIS IS HOW YOU GET AUDIO TO WORK ON WINDOWS 7 On A DELL DEMINSION 4600i
Go To This Site Link Removed - Invalid URL Down to where it says Audio..OPen...Scroll down to Sound Blaster Live 5.1 digital...Download File...After your done installing..Look for your dile in downloads should be R69382.exe..Right click And select troubleshoot campability...Then click try recommended settings...Then start the program..Then windows will do the rest...ENJOY!!!!!...

Back
Top Bottom