Desktop Keeps Restarting - Windows Server2008

serverguy

I have been playing with windows server 2008 for about 2 months now, or less,

I installed it on an old computer. It has been running fine up until now. I has developed a problem.

It keeps rebooting and i am unable to get inside the OS.

It starts up and at the windows logo it reboots itself. I am also unable to get into safe mode since it does the same thing(reboots) I am able to get into repair mode and recovery mode. But there's nothing much i can do from there.

Sometimes i am lucky i can get into the OS after trying many times. I starts up normally but after i'd say... and my server is running fine. My webpage and server is online but after 10-20 minutes it reboots itself and once again the problem continues.

My psu is is a 550W. I read online sometimes this could be a psu problem, but since my psu is brand new and its 550W, also i just use the integrated video. I doubt its my psu's fault.

Unless windows server the OS uses's more than 550?
But i used a psu calculatator and i only need about 250W
pwoer.PNG

I do have another 350W power supply lying around which i could test, maybe my new psu is defective?

I really doubt it,, but i am going to try the lower psu and see if it does the same thing,

i used this computer on windows 7 for years and never had a problem.

anyone have any ideas or advice?

Last edited:
a restart is more offen ram | hdd and lock ups tend to be power ime however i'd format the system and rebuild the server to remove other possible issues... it's always faster than trying to sort unknown errors on older servers.

p.s, is the server doing anything you need or you just want to keep it for the fun of having an old system still running?

i am running a website on it, but the website is not important, i am mostly keeping the server online so i can learn and troubleshoot the OS

something strange has happened,

I took out the 550W PSU and put in an old atx 350W PSU, and it has not rebooted!

i put the 550W PSU on different computer and i have it running 24/7, and it has not rebooted.

so strange!

im going to keep it this way for a month, later after a month i will put the 550W back into the server, and see if it re-boots,

maybe the 550W is not compatible? but its working fine on another computer,

i don't know what's going on,

Back