Windows Vista Desktop Manager/Taskbar Freeze

Barn

I am running Vista Home Premium, 32 bit on a HP Pavillion a6220n PC, 2.0 ghZ Intel processor, 2.0 gbs of RAM, Vista Service Pak 1,and a 320 gb hard drive. After considerable reading and research, this appears to be a universal problem, with little help available.

Here's the problem: When I reboot, the desktop and the taskbar freeze after icons on the taskbar load. Some icons load, some do not in the taskbar. I have no internet connection and all icons on the desktop are inoperable including folders. If I do a system restore I am up and running with no problems except when I have to reboot. I have a system that is clean after running multiple scans showing nothing in the line of viruses. I cleaned out the CPU case so it is spotless and dust free but I still have the problem come back only after rebooting. I have to do a system restore or go into Safe Mode to use the PC.

Any, any, any help would certainly help me right now! I am exhausted and frustrated over this problem so I guess I need the pros on this one.

Thanks in advance!:mad:

Hi Barn,

try running chkdsk, found via your C drive, properties and then tools.. If that fails to find and correct any bad sectors your only option may be to do a re-install. OR You could try running the repair function from the vista disk.
Usually all these fixes come to one thing..... Re-install.

It may be that your install has become so corrupted that nothing else will help apart from a full install... :frown:

Re: Desktop Manager/Taskbar Freeze-RESOLVED!

Kemical:

I found and solved the problem. As I was watching the taskbar while it was working, I suddenly noticed that I had two anti-virus programs running: MalwareBytes and PC Tools. It appears they were conflicting with each other. Once I disabled both of them from running at startup, I corrected the problem and we are back in the game. Thanks, for your help. I hope others who have a similar problem will check their anti-virus programs for conflicts. Thanks again, K Man.:)

Barn

Back