Windows 7 Diablo 2 LOD Audio 3d and middle mouse button

2Punx2Furious

Hi, as title says I can run D2 LoD but i can't activate the audio 3d and the middle mouse button don't work (activate the map or changing abilities):confused:
Can anyone help me please?

Ps: with xp all works fine

Last edited:
3d Audio usually refers to dxsound which neither Vista or Windows 7 use...they use the better OpenAL format, although creative audio card users can get thier free ALchemy software for running EAX modes.

Since neither AC'97 nor C-media are compatible with ALchemy your pretty much knackered to using software sound only, it's not some much a fault of the OS but lack of forward thinking on Blizzards part...lol

I suppose all you can do is maybe mess around with stereo expanding filters on your sound mixer if it has them.

Last edited:
From C-media there is xear-3d but don't work at least i must install it on a virtual machine whit windows xp?

That simply wont work as the Xp virtual machine forces audio through software emulation of soundblaster 16 also, which is very annoying as you'd think by now a virtual machine would use the real hardware available on the host machine

so i can only hope in a windows emulator of a sound blaster audiocard, a patch that will enable audio 3d whit the openal, install windows xp again maybe in another partition (but i won't) or change my audio card and buy a sound blaster? Ok thanks for your time i will buy a new pc in future.

Well...to be honest Dxsound is old tech now that died with XP 3 years ago...all new games support the OpenAL format now, which has now become the modern "Hardware accelerated" audio. Theres very few audio cards dedicated to doing native hardware OpenAL...one such as Asus Xonar are one of the few examples, most audio card makers now seem to merely put out cards that do the job without any major performance gains on thier rivals for example.

Until Vista, Creative were the only brand to buy simply cos they were the fastest by a large degree for about 10 years during the Win98-XP era, now nullified since Vista/Win7's OpenAL standard, it's pretty much the case that any brand will perform the same regardless of brand or price, until they get the edge back with some new product that performs better.

So to answer the Diablo issue...3d Hardware sound (DXsound) on it is strictly Xp on dual boot OR wait on the unlikely Blizzard patch that fixes audio playback to OpenAL compatible mode. Emulated soundcards will unlikely perform the job effectively even if one does excist out there, and to be honest the sound of a 10 year old game doesnt exactly sound much better over the hardware version anyway....since I tested the very game myself a few months ago, and the main reason for hardware sound back in thoose days was because the PC were very slow compared to machine even in the last 5 years that do the job just as good in software.

Also worth mentioning NO new audio cards will support DXsound in Vista/Win7 as the system simply doesnt have it to use....so even a £200 audio card on these OS's wont support Diablo's 3d Sound option unless you run XP.

Last edited:
Hi, as title says I can run D2 LoD but i can't activate the audio 3d and the middle mouse button don't work (activate the map or changing abilities):confused:
Can anyone help me please?

Ps: with xp all works fine

Yes there is a fix, I had the same problem initially... Try these steps, these should help:

1.) Make sure you are running at least v 1.12 so you can use the now-legit "NO CD* fix, Running from the CD causes a read-buffer issue in W7, and having all those files on your harddrive will result in increased performance.

2.) Run Diablo II in Compatibility mode for *Windows XP SP 2* (Running in SP1 or 3 will cause error messages during gameplay)

3.) Run the Shortcut as an Administrator (Running as a local user causes W7 to limit its *AUDIO* functions... because it thinks the game is trying to exclusively access your sound device) and while you're there, check the box that says *Disable desktop composition*. This will allow Diablo II's 3D effects to render correctly. It temporarily disables Windows Aero and other Visual effects until the game has been exited. These effects are not compatible with the game.

4.) Go to your Diablo 2 folder and change game.exe to the same settings (Run as admin, Compat. mode for XP SP2, disable desktop composition)

5.) The only way I was able to use the 3rd mouse button was by using the older, non-legit version of D2loader.exe (An old hack they used for the no-cd thing until Patch 1.12 came out). You can now use this *hack* online as Blizzard has removed its illegitimacy and disabled the automated Battle.net Warden from detecting this online anymore as many Vista and 7 users have to use this to use their middle mouse buttons, hehe.

EDIT: As HighwayMan says, the 3d audio function will not work correctly in WV or W7, so forgive me, I was reading your post incorrectly.

Last edited:
Yes there is a fix, I had the same problem initially... Try these steps, these should help:

1.) Make sure you are running at least v 1.12 so you can use the now-legit "NO CD* fix, Running from the CD causes a read-buffer issue in W7, and having all those files on your harddrive will result in increased performance.

2.) Run Diablo II in Compatibility mode for *Windows XP SP 2* (Running in SP1 or 3 will cause error messages during gameplay)

3.) Run the Shortcut as an Administrator (Running as a local user causes W7 to limit its *AUDIO* functions... because it thinks the game is trying to exclusively access your sound device) and while you're there, check the box that says *Disable desktop composition*. This will allow Diablo II's 3D effects to render correctly. It temporarily disables Windows Aero and other Visual effects until the game has been exited. These effects are not compatible with the game.

4.) Go to your Diablo 2 folder and change game.exe to the same settings (Run as admin, Compat. mode for XP SP2, disable desktop composition)

5.) The only way I was able to use the 3rd mouse button was by using the older, non-legit version of D2loader.exe (An old hack they used for the no-cd thing until Patch 1.12 came out). You can now use this *hack* online as Blizzard has removed its illegitimacy and disabled the automated Battle.net Warden from detecting this online anymore as many Vista and 7 users have to use this to use their middle mouse buttons, hehe.

EDIT: As HighwayMan says, the 3d audio function will not work correctly in WV or W7, so forgive me, I was reading your post incorrectly.

Ah! so i'm not the only! thanks a lot, i will try the non-legit crack with a non legit cd-key ;) then if they do not ban me i will use mine or i will install in the xp partition that i reconsidered to do after some issues with win 7.

Not that I'm trying to sway your idea or anything, but I can tell you from experience that they won't ban your key for using that specific hack, all the others will definately be detected though. They purposely let it through because people using Vista and W7 can improve the game funcionality. They thought that version 1.12a of the patch was implementing features from the loader, but they were mistaken so they just allow the hack now.

Also, if you are using a number of different CD keys from the same IP, it will flag your IP for review of keys. They'll look at the legitimacy of each key you are using, and if you're using a bad one that gets past the validation check when you sign into battle.net, you're gonna get both keys perma_banned.

Just a heads up.

"I've done it before, I'll admit. It's fun when you can hack into a game without paying for it and the lot, until you figure out that someone else who payed for it can't use it because you are using their key. Now neither of us can use it."

I used to pirate and things like that when I was younger, till I bought the game and it happened to me hehe.

Not that I'm trying to sway your idea or anything, but I can tell you from experience that they won't ban your key for using that specific hack, all the others will definately be detected though. They purposely let it through because people using Vista and W7 can improve the game funcionality. They thought that version 1.12a of the patch was implementing features from the loader, but they were mistaken so they just allow the hack now.

Also, if you are using a number of different CD keys from the same IP, it will flag your IP for review of keys. They'll look at the legitimacy of each key you are using, and if you're using a bad one that gets past the validation check when you sign into battle.net, you're gonna get both keys perma_banned.

Just a heads up.

"I've done it before, I'll admit. It's fun when you can hack into a game without paying for it and the lot, until you figure out that someone else who payed for it can't use it because you are using their key. Now neither of us can use it."

I used to pirate and things like that when I was younger, till I bought the game and it happened to me hehe.

Thank you for the advise but just for safe i not use my original cd-key with the hack tool and now that you noticed it to me i will not use the non-legit key too so the only solution apparently is to do the new partition, it is usefull to do it now cause win 7 is yet incompatible with most of software and i will use xp for this applications, so, diablo 2 is not a problem anymore i will use it on xp and i think is the best idea. btw sorry for my (eventually bad) english, i'm italian.

Diablo 2 works absolutely perfect for me and it is faster than in any other operating system!!!

I dont know why it wont work for anyone. Have you guys tried putting it into different compatibility modes to see if it works that way. I am running it on 64 Bit Windows 7.

No matter.

As per the Arreat Summit News, they are creating a patch 1.13 with these errors in mind. :cool:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back