Windows XP Did We need Window XP Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe for the Smithsonian museum of antiques. But for operating a modern PC it is pretty useless.

Noteworthy that, in IT tems, 10, 15, 20 years is 'antique'... OMG, sometimes, I can, even, recall myself in conversation, actually apply the word 'dinosaur' to XP. & this is whilst it still has rather abundant use, geeesh, lol

Yeah, many people hang on to it for a variety of reasons.

Companies because they have a big investment in XP programs or because they do not want to make the extra investment in training.

Individual users because they are too lethargic to change or they are just not smart enough to master a new OS. All they want is their 3 buttons that they use in the place they are used too.

And then there are some hard core XP geeks who have overtweaked the XP system and dread to start all over again.

& that said, a wee reminder of Windows VPC & XP Mode. Best-of-both worlds idea... all the virtues of a modern OS and still run your old XP. AND, this is, maybe, on existing hardware!

Regards,
Drew

I'm still running XP. I have it on 3 computers. I have Windows 7 on one, but only because Microsoft bribed Netflix to use Silverlight as their player, rather than one that actually supported video. I say Microsoft bribed Netflix because with the 2 companies being in bed with each other, and Vista a complete flop, requiring stupid Aero in order to handle the video tearing problem because Silverlight doesn't support v-sync natively... people will "upgrade" to Vista in order to have their Netflix work again... right? They (Microsoft) tried the same thing with Halo 2.

As one rather "intelligent" individual here suggested, I am neither "too lethargic to change" nor "just not smart enough to master a new OS", (you sir, are an ***). I have all my music on an external hard drive, and XP is capable of sorting all my folders alphabetically, unlike Windows 7... which is obviously a much smarter OS for much smarter people. Imagine being so stupid I want to find Devo in the D's and not in the middle of a gigantic A-H block... I must be a complete moron to want to organize stuff, I must say. Also... not that I use it, but I have Media Player 10. 12 is just junk. Unless of course you're one of those people who think less is more. I mean really, 10 told you the bit rate, song length, album length, album title, album artist, it displayed full size album art if embedded or the artwork was in the folder instead of some blurry thumbnail from Microsoft's music store... who needs all that information? If there's one thing I love, it's when a company "improves" something by making it 4x bigger while doing 4x less... you'd have to be stupid not to, right?

And if Windows 7 is so great, why do they use "You can do almost as much as XP with XP Mode" as a selling point. Don't be a fool, fool... "upgrade" and do nearly as much as you can do now! Why are people installing all kinds of software like Classic Shell and CSMenu to make 7 more like XP?

What I don't get is if your OS does everything you need it to do, why do other people insist you're just "lazy" or "not smart enough" to learn something new? Maybe you bought your computer at a brick and mortar because you're not smart enough to build your own, and because of that you're bitter that you had 7 forced down your throat and so it's just sour grapes, yes?

Last edited:
Well smartypants. Let me tell you something. I have built computers when you were probably not yet even born - in 1958. And continued with that and developed Operating Systems all my professional life until the 90s. XP may be suitable for bitfiddlers and XP geeks like you, but it is a pain in the neck for someone who wants creature comforts.

There are always a few things that are different from one version to another, but that is no reason to dwell on the old stuff.

Come on, people... could you not descend into what sounds like childish ego puffing, name-calling & schoolyard bickering & 1-upman-shipping. Spare us the confrontational competitiveness.. No need looking for or chest-beating about who has or deserves the most IT brownie points. Let it go... people are of varying ages, backgrounds, levels & areas & degrees of expertise & interest. Let everyone have the own footsteps, as you do, thier past & 'bucket', same as you have & it's all fine & good; live & let live. Swallow your pride & just help the visitors w/out squabbling amongst each other.

& please don't trun & bash me for what I've allowed myself to voice, here, about this, that I observe.

Respectfully,
Drew

It a funny thing, people like you. You call people "too lethargic to change" and "just not smart enough to master a new OS" and you were probably patting yourself on the back thinking how clever you were with your insults, but when someone points out how much of an idiot you are, you respond with more name calling and insults.

Creature comforts? From 7? Explain.

I wouldn't consider myself to be either a "bitfiddler" or an "XP geek". What I am is someone who wants to be able to do what I want on my own computer without having to jump through a million hoops to do it. And don't give me all that "with a little tweak here and a little tweak there, 7 can be just like XP" crap... why not just stay with XP and be done with it? I bet you thought XP was the greatest thing on Earth when you were (and probably still are) using it, so why the sudden hatred? Are you one of those people who have a finite amount of space to like things, so as new stuff comes out you feel compelled to hate the old, as well as people who still like the old thing? You really are an ***... a very sad old ***.

ps What OS's have you developed?

Last edited:
Nuff said. No use to discuss with you. Btw: I participated in the development of several operating systems IBM BOS/360, DOS/360, DOS/VSE 370, DOS-ESE/370, MVS/360 plus access methods, data base, compilers and alike. All stuff you probably have no clue about.

Come on, people... could you not descend into what sounds like childish ego puffing, name-calling & schoolyard bickering & 1-upman-shipping. Spare us the confrontational competitiveness.. No need looking for or chest-beating about who has or deserves the most IT brownie points. Let it go... people are of varying ages, backgrounds, levels & areas & degrees of expertise & interest. Let everyone have the own footsteps, as you do, thier past & 'bucket', same as you have & it's all fine & good; live & let live. Swallow your pride & just help the visitors w/out squabbling amongst each other.

& please don't trun & bash me for what I've allowed myself to voice, here, about this, that I observe.

Respectfully,
Drew

Drew, you are right. I hate to do these things. But look who started to be agressive. I have been around too long to accept such comments from a pion like him. If somebody steps on my feet, I hit back.

Ok, but, regardless of who started whatever & 'principles', couldn't someone end it? Seems to be straying from the point of the Forum.

Just an (my) opinion.

Drew

Nuff said. No use to discuss with you.

Actually you didn't say anything and made no attempt to discuss anything.

(from a later post)...
"Drew, you are right. I hate to do these things. But look who started to be agressive."
Actually it was you who called people lazy and stupid for not switching to a different OS.

"I have been around too long to accept such comments from a pion like him"
Ah name-calling... thou art a most intelligent tool. (That was a pun... I'm calling you a tool. See, I can name call too.)

"If somebody steps on my feet, I hit back."
I didn't step on your feet. I only said I was neither lazy or stupid and that I was happy with XP. I think you have anger issues.

Please see the Link Removed due to 404 Error for acceptable use of the forums regarding personal attacks and behavior. As this thread has resulted in name calling and other petty bickering, I have closed the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back