Windows 10 Did Windows 10 TP update to Slow Ring level yet?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

That's my question, I'm not sure whether this has happened or not.
If it has I didn't notice, though some issues have been fixed like the rebooting problem.

But I'd think that they would fix the keyboard lights thing before releasing it to the slow ring.

Anyone on the Slow setting gotten the message to update yet?

Mike

Good question Mike.
Unfortunately I, like I suspect many, who participate in these types of evals want my updates yesterday. :)
Although I'm tempted to build another VM and wait it out and see what happens.
Maybe someone with more patience may have some information for you / us.

Hi

If it has I didn't notice, though some issues have been fixed like the rebooting problem.

But I'd think that they would fix the keyboard lights thing before releasing it to the slow ring.

Mike

In a word no. The next update apparently scheduled for release might be numbered Build 9888, called Windows 10 Consumer Preview and be released late January if the latest articles are to be believed:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...8-new-fixes-consumer-preview-january-and-more

I just thought....Did you mean for build 9879? If so the answer is yes. Iso links are in the forum somewhere.

Hi

Mike

Why concern yourself with "slow" or "fast" ring anymore ?
The latest build is 9879 and the ISO download is made available to everyone.
Wouldn't a clean install with the ISO better than waiting for the "slow" ring offer ?

Soon, Consumer Preview will be released to the public. By then, the "slow" or "fast" ring will be irrelevant and obsolete. Isn't it ?

Hi

That still leave the question of are the ISO files the early or debugged version of 9879.
All I want is to get the later version with the bugs fixed, the version that I assume people on the slow ring will or have received?

I find it hard to believe that the keyboard lights issue isn't a fairly easy fix?

Up to this point there have been an early version and then an update to the later version.

I don't know it that's happened or not for version 9879.

I assume that there will probably be other versions before we get to the Consumer Preview version next year some time, like the rumored version 9888.

I'm not doing a clean install every time because I have all of my software installed in 10 TP.
It just takes too long to do it every time.

I'll do that when we get to consumer preview.

Mike

............That still leave the question of are the ISO files the early or debugged version of 9879.

excerpt:
If you have Windows 10 Technical Preview and didn't specifically set it to the "fast ring" -- symbolizing your desire to live on the bleeding edge of new releases -- the latest build of Windows 10 should install over the top of the old build as soon as you fire up the machine. If you left it on overnight, build 9879 (identified by a watermark in the lower-right corner of the desktop) should be ready for you this morning.
This "new" build 9879 should differentiate itself from the "old" build 9879 by being more stable. I see no difference at all in any features. The hidden tricks and fixes I discussed two weeks ago still apply. I can even reconfirm the sticking Caps Lock/Num Lock problem
There was one patch applied to the old 9879, KB 3019269, which according to a tweet from Gabe Aul only fix a 0xAB blue screen for some build 9879 users. Aul had tweeted earlier that Microsoft would "make a couple of additional fixes" to build 9879, but it isn't clear if any of those fixes made it into the new version

Source : http://www.infoworld.com/article/28...ld-9879-for-windows-10-technical-preview.html

The iso of 9879 is the later version although what this actually means is the reboot issue is fixed but the keyboard lights are still an issue. There has been some further updates released but they were for a bsod issue and a flash issue. I doubt we'll be seeing any further builds until late January. As to whether Microsoft will release an update specifically for the k'board lights remains to be seen.

These are the latest. Lawd knows what they will send to the public:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.6 KB · Views: 407
Only a week away from yet another "Update Tuesday", perhaps they'll be something tucked away in there for Windows 10.

Hi

Well that answers my question, since I don't have the reboot issue anymore I'm going to assume that I have been updated.
It really surprises me that the keyboard lights thing hasn't been fixed.

What's more basic than the keyboard?
My keyboard lights have worked since I was using DOS!

Mike

I read that 9888 is being downloaded on several other forums. Looks like MS will have to release the new build a little ahead of their new year plan.
Personally, I am going to wait for the official download. I could run into a load of problems with updates etc. otherwise.

Back