Windows 7 Different Default Devices for Different Users

jdore71

Hi,
First off I would like to say that this site has been a fantastic resource for troubleshooting my win 7 computer.

I'm trying to find a way to have different default playback devices for different user accounts? Like, have "realtek" as the default playback for user A but when you switch to user B it's a USB headset as the default. I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

Thanks

jdore71;
Welcome to the forums and thank you for the kind words regarding the site.
Your question makes perfect sense, but unfortunately I think that what you want to do would involve defining a seperate and distinct hardware profile, where you could select a particular profile at boot to use with different hardware options pre-defined, a feature that Microsoft has dropped since XP (it wasn't actually available in Vista and is not available with Win7).
As you probably already know the options are easily changed/adjusted by right clicking the speaker icon in the Notification Area (formerly system tray) and selecting "Playback devices" and choosing one of your device there.
Hope this answers your question.
Kind Regards
Randy

Randy,
Thanks for super fast response. It's unfortunate that MS has removed the ability to set hardware profiles in Windows 7. I understand that it's pretty easy to change the setting but this PC is for my much older parents who I want to have as little steps as possible in their windows experience.
Thanks for the help,
jdore71

Back
Top Bottom