Windows 7 Disk boot failure

Thorgull

Hi there,

I've been using W7 RC x64 since it came out and I must say it worked great.

However, this morning I've had a Disk boot failure message. I didn't have time to investigate yet, but I'd like to hear your thoughts about the possible cause of this.

I did not install anything that day or even the weeks before. Didn't touch the HD (didn't even open the unit) and did not transport or hit it either.
But I remember that yesterday when shutting off the computer, w7 installed 2 updates.

I tried to use the install cd to use the repair option, but the OS was not detected and the repair did nothing.

Any idea ?

Whats your set-up Thorgull?
If you've got SATA/RAID drives just make sure the connections are ok.. but let us know what your spec is please..

Ah, sorry I forgot something this important ^^
here are my specs :
Motherboard : A8N SLI Premium
CPU : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, 2,21 GHz
Graphic card : Radeon X1950 Series
RAM : 2Gb

I have 4 HD in SATAII, 1Tb+2x500Gb+250Gb.
The 250 one is where the OS is installed, on a dedicated partition. It is the oldest of the 4.

Thanks for that..
Did you check the connections at all? I know you say you didn't move/touch the unit but it's still worth checking.
Also could you post the exact error message your getting when you boot..
Thanks

Thanks for the answers.

After some search and some trys at repairing/repluging/restoring from an image 5 month old, with the OS not even detected on any of the HDD (thus the actions did not seem to work at the time), I did come to the same conclusion as you epk1950 and it was the right one, the HDD had been moved at the end of the priority list, phew.
And then I realized that re restoration from an image had worked -_-
Luckily I do not save much thing on this HDD ^^

Anyway thanks for the help

Maybe have you checked bios to make sure OS HDD is set for first boot device, some times "some times" bios will move the boot hdd down one replacing it with a different hdd on your system for boot. use the + or - to move . Just throwing that idea out there..

Great call epk1950....:D

1st boot device???

Maybe have you checked bios to make sure OS HDD is set for first boot device, some times "some times" bios will move the boot hdd down one replacing it with a different hdd on your system for boot. use the + or - to move . Just throwing that idea out there..

Somebody correct me if my statement here is not correct. You do not want to make the OS harddrive as the first device in the boot order, just set it the first HDD in boot order. If the OS HDD is set as first boot device, ahead of CD/DVD drive, You will not be able to boot from a CD or DVD when needed. (I am assuming that you have more than one physical hard drive.)

Last edited:
Somebody correct me if my statement here is not correct. You do not want to make the OS harddrive as the first device in the boot order, just set it the first HDD in boot order. If the OS HDD is set as first boot device, ahead of CD/DVD drive, You will not be able to boot from a CD or DVD when needed. (I am assuming that you have more than one physical hard drive.)

That decreases your boot time :rolleyes: Having cd rom first.

HDD had been moved at the end of the priority list.

Edit:
Also I believe there is a short cut key for selecting any hdd or cdrom or usb etc, something like F5 or F4, at least for my board.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom