Windows 10 Display Problems only after WOL from hibernation

RustySam

Extraordinary Member
First Post so hope done properly

After Windows 10 upgrade I started experiencing a problem with the Desktop that only occurs after a Wake On Lan wakes the PC from hibernation overnight (do not know if occurs with sleep) . It does not occur if I manually wake the pc from hibernation (ie power button) only after a WOL.

When I attempt to use the system in the AM (left in sleep state) I find that all open windows are stacked in top left corner as expected and can be used there (alt tab). If I attempt to drag a window to another area of the desktop it leaves a trail of windows and that window will no longer respond. If I click the area of the screen that is outside the active desktop I can right click and bring up the "view - sort by - refresh" menu but if I click refresh for example it will refresh but the menu dialog box does not close (but it is no longer active - clicking an item invokes no action). Desktop is basically unusable as only the top left portion is active.

My original solution was to do a Restart which was a pain, but I later found that if I used the "Virtual Desktop" icon and then clicked "Display settings" and changed the Orientation from Landscape to anything else then let it time out the problem was resolved (entire desktop now active as normal).

This is a Dell XPS8700 running 64bit Windows 10 with an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series display adapter.

Had previously updated drivers and firmware after upgrade - just to be sure rechecked drivers and found following and updated

Intel AMT HECI Driver | XPS-8700_Chipset_Driver_VJ54R_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE (76MB) (18 MB of 76MB)

Do not believe has any bearing but not positive.

Also update on workaround, all that is required is, in active area of desktop, right click and select display settings as above. No need to use virtual desktop.

Had previously updated drivers and firmware after upgrade - just to be sure rechecked drivers and found following and updated

Intel AMT HECI Driver | XPS-8700_Chipset_Driver_VJ54R_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE (76MB) (18 MB of 76MB)

Do not believe has any bearing but not positive.

Also update on workaround, all that is required is, in active area of desktop, right click and select display settings as above. No need to use virtual desktop.
---------------------------------
No change since above driver updated.

Also History shows there was a previously applied Windows update to the display adapter
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon (TM) R9 200 Series

Back