Windows 7 DNS not responding

Girevik

Things were working great for on Friday, then all of a sudden yesterday I started getting a "DNS not responding"? on my desktop. All my wireless devices work fine, and when I turn off my laptop's wi-fi card and plug it into the same router it works as well. I've done some Googleing on the issue and none of what I found has helped.

When I do an ipconfig on each maching, the thing I notice is that on the working laptop I have an entry for the "Connection specific DNS suffix under the "Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection", where on the desktop that's not working the suffrix is blank.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

I had the problem for two days. Several systems restores fixed the issue for a short period of time. Checked for viruses in safe mode with networking. Internet worked just fine in a safe mode with networking... I also tried to tweak Mcafee Internet Security that came with my Dell laptop. Disabling firewall and antivirus did not work. Downloaded a couple other virus malware killers and scanned in safe mode with no luck. They could not find anything. Finally I uninstalled McAfee... And voila! I installed Microsoft Security Essntials: it is free and my Internet works!!! I used to work in a call centre for Dell: problems with McAfee blocking the Internet were a real nightmare. So, if you have this issue with DNS server not responding, look at your antivirus first... Do you really need that one particularly...

If you decide to uninstall McAFee go to their web site and get their uninstall program

Last edited:
I had the problem for two days. Several systems restores fixed the issue for a short period of time. Checked for viruses in safe mode with networking. Internet worked just fine in a safe mode with networking... I also tried to tweak Mcafee Internet Security that came with my Dell laptop. Disabling firewall and antivirus did not work. Downloaded a couple other virus malware killers and scanned in safe mode with no luck. They could not find anything. Finally I uninstalled McAfee... And voila! I installed Microsoft Security Essntials: it is free and my Internet works!!! I used to work in a call centre for Dell: problems with McAfee blocking the Internet were a real nightmare. So, if you have this issue with DNS server not responding, look at your antivirus first... Do you really need that one particularly...

That got it. Thanks!

Unfortunately for some reason my laptop started giving me that same issue today, so I wasn't able to get the McAfee uninstall, but the control panel uninstall seemed to work. I've reinstalled it and so far so good.

Thanks for your help!

Back