Windows 7 Do I Need Windows 7 32-Bit Or Windows 7 64-Bit?

For anyone who stumbles on to this thread.......
Don't load up your computer with non-essential 3rd party programs.

1. You don't need to install anything in order to find out if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit.
Please just following these simple steps:
Click Start button > right side, click Computer > at the top, click System Properties > scroll down to System heading > at System Type, it will tell you which bit-level your computer belongs to. See screenshot below.....
Image 4.png

2. As to whether you need a 32-bit or a 64-bit computer, please read this article published by Microsoft:
32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions......
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7

Last edited:
If the system is 64-bit but only has 2GB of RAM, a 64-bit OS is still not recommended. 64-bit is memory hungry.. it will slow down your system a lot if you have a low RAM. Upgrade RAM before installing 64-bit. I think this matter is covered in the link provided above me.

That is only telling you the bit-level of the OS. Of course, if you have a 64-bit OS then it means your processor must be 64-bit capable. But if it showed that you have a 32-bit OS, it wouldn't tell you if you have a 64-bit capable processor. I like to recommend https://www.grc.com/securable.htm which is a tiny little utility which will tell you if you have a 64-bit capable processor.

64-bit systems are faster than 32-bit systems. To check if your computer's 32-bit or 64-bit, on Windows 7, click the Start button, right click on Computer, and then properties. On Windows 8(.1), go to the Start screen, type "This PC", right-click (tap and hold on tablets), and select Properties.

TL;DR: Install the 64-bit version if your computer can handle it.

The difference between 32 and 64 bits can be seen as a highway, being either 32 or 64 lanes. The more lanes, the more traffic can go through. For a standard motorist, 32 is quite enough, no need to get a headache about the matter. I moved to 64, haven't noticed real difference, I was mainly concerned with the question whether my old 32 programs would work... but everything works.

In future, perhaps even today, new programs won't work in 32. Who knows? But perhaps we will all have wings in the future? :confused:

O! I don't know I am spoiled I had Pentium quadro 32bit with windows xp. Now I have AMD 8 cores window 7 pro 64 bit and I can not select in the windows explorer 3 file names for 20 seconds. It is ?thinking? and drawing green line in the address line .

The green line in the address shows "searching". I'm not sure, but it may be you have your search at "Indexed", and automatic, thus the program works automatically to find everything related. You could check

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-search

I have an AMD 8 cores, Windows 7 Professional, and it has nothing to do with your problem. It's a Windows issue. You just have to choose what your computer does for you, and what you want to decide yourself.

Back