Windows 7 Do I want Windows x86 or x64 update?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I'm looking at the Windows backwards compatibility update and they have two versions for Windows 7 one is labeled "All supported x86-based versions of Windows 7" and the other is labeled "All supported x64-based versions of Windows 7".

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

Which one of these am I supposed to use. I'm assuming it's the x86 since that's where all my old software goes, Program Files (x86) but what is x64?

Thanks for the help...

Mike

Hi

Thanks for the help. I guess that makes sense.

What is the x86 version used for?
I always wondered why my older software, actually almost all my software goes into at folder named "Program Files (x86)"?

Mike

The x86 is for Windows 7 x86 editions. It just won't install on your x64 system.

Mike said:
Which one of these am I supposed to use. I'm assuming it's the x86 since that's where all my old software goes, Program Files (x86) but what is x64?

Windows 7 x64 has Program Files (x86), for 32-bit applications, and Program Files, for 64-bit software.

The 64-bit backward compatibility update will install on all editions of Windows 7 x64, and should cover both x64 and x86 dlls. The x86 update won't install on a x64 system.

So again, you need "All supported x64-based versions of Windows 7"

Link Removed - Invalid URL

It is slightly confusing but as cybercore rightly say's you need the x64 as your running 64bit. X86 in this instance means 32bit but in reality x86 refers to the type of CPU your using and it's instruction set.
As you've already noticed your 64bit os also has a 32bit section for compatibility reasons..

Microsoft said:
Install this update to allow Windows 7 to provide a Windows Vista context for legacy applications designed for older Windows versions.

The x64 update will anyway provide Windows Vista context for BOTH legacy 32-bit as well as 64-bit applications run in Windows 7 x64 environment. So, if most of your software is in Program Files (x86) --> you still need the x64 update:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Hi Again!

I found when I tried to install it that it was already installed anyway. LOL
Must have happened automatically some where along the way.

Mike

Back