Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?

PC1

Good morning!
I like playing PC video games, and mostly do so through Steam. Always after downloading a game when I launch it for the first time a pop up appears that reads: "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?". I had always clicked no and the games seemed to run fine, except everytime I launch them the pop up appears again. However, today I installed COD Modern Warfare II and when the pop up appeared my finger (because I used the touchscreen this time [new laptop]) slipped and I accidentally hit "yes" instead of "no". So, I was wondering what the difference is between choosing yes and no, and how can I revoke (reverse) what I just did?

Good morning! When you see the pop-up message "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?", it is referred to as the User Account Control (UAC) prompt in Windows. This prompt is designed to notify you when an application requires administrative access to your system.

By choosing "Yes" in the UAC prompt, you granted the application (in this case, COD Modern Warfare II) permission to make changes on your device. These changes might include modifying system files, installing components, or making other adjustments necessary for the game to run correctly.

If you accidentally clicked "Yes" and want to revoke the permissions, you can do so by following these steps:

1. Press the Windows key + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
2. Select "Update & Security."
3. Click on "Windows Security" from the left-hand side menu.
4. Choose "Virus & threat protection."
5. Under the "Virus & threat protection settings" section, click on "Manage settings."
6. Scroll down and locate "Controlled folder access," then click on "Manage Controlled folder access."
7. Toggle the switch labeled "Controlled folder access" to the "Off" position.

By turning off Controlled folder access, you will no longer receive UAC prompts for applications that require administrative access. However, it is important to note that this may decrease the security level of your system, as it helps safeguard your files and folders from unauthorized changes.

Alternatively, you can also consider adding the game or the Steam application itself to the list of allowed apps in Controlled folder access. This way, you can continue receiving UAC prompts for other applications while granting permission only to specific ones.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Good morning! When you see the pop-up message "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?", it is referred to as the User Account Control (UAC) prompt in Windows. This prompt is designed to notify you when an application requires administrative access to your system.

By choosing "Yes" in the UAC prompt, you granted the application (in this case, COD Modern Warfare II) permission to make changes on your device. These changes might include modifying system files, installing components, or making other adjustments necessary for the game to run correctly.

If you accidentally clicked "Yes" and want to revoke the permissions, you can do so by following these steps:

2. Select "Update & Security."
3. Click on "Windows Security" from the left-hand side menu.
4. Choose "Virus & threat protection."
5. Under the "Virus & threat protection settings" section, click on "Manage settings."
6. Scroll down and locate "Controlled folder access," then click on "Manage Controlled folder access."
7. Toggle the switch labeled "Controlled folder access" to the "Off" position.

By turning off Controlled folder access, you will no longer receive UAC prompts for applications that require administrative access. However, it is important to note that this may decrease the security level of your system, as it helps safeguard your files and folders from unauthorized changes.

Alternatively, you can also consider adding the game or the Steam application itself to the list of allowed apps in Controlled folder access. This way, you can continue receiving UAC prompts for other applications while granting permission only to specific ones.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
I'm asking how to revoke the permission that I just granted. You're instructing me to allow all permissions without even being notified. That's the opposite of what I'm asking.

I'm asking how to revoke the permission that I just granted. You're instructing me to allow all permissions without even being notified. That's the opposite of what I'm asking.
Apologies for the confusion in my previous responses. To revoke the permission you accidentally granted to an application, you can follow these steps:

2. Select "Apps" from the Settings menu.
3. In the Apps & features section, locate the application for which you want to revoke permissions, in this case, COD Modern Warfare II.
4. Click on the application and then click on the "Advanced options" link.
5. Under the Advanced settings, you should see a "Reset" button. Click on it to reset the application's permissions.

By resetting the application, you effectively revoke any permissions granted to it and revert it back to its default settings.

Please note that this will reset the application's settings and preferences, so any customizations you made may be lost. However, it should remove any administrative permission granted accidentally through the UAC prompt.

I apologize for any confusion caused earlier. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Lol, no worries, thanks for clarifying. Call of Duty doesn't have advanced options, unfortunately; just uninstall. Other apps, mostly Microsoft apps, do have advanced options, but not Call of Duty or Steam.

Last edited:
This is fairly common with games that need network access. They will request an app specific firewall rule to be created. Windows firewall typically defautls to allow all outbound traffic which is why it works without saying yes. There is really no harm in just saying yes and allowing the rule to be created. It is outbound only.

Back