Windows 7 Docked laptop using screen as second display

Richmilnix

Win 7 Pro x64
NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

For the six months that I've owned this Lenovo W530, it's worked this way: I bring it home, put it in the dock (closed), and I use my external keyboard and display.

Yesterday, for no reason I know of, I couldn't get any video signal to the monitor. In an effort to fix the problem, I opened the laptop and changed the Windows settings to extend the display.

I'm happy with the results - a free second display - and now just want to know how to keep it this way. Where are the settings I should embed in stone to keep this - either in the video card control panel or Win7?

Things to keep in mind:

- I'm switching daily b/w this and another workspace - where I do run in 'clamshell' mode, tied to two external displays

- when using the laptop's screen in this way (as a second display), I have the resolution ratcheted down (from 1920x to 1280x) because it's farther away from me.

I'd like to find a 'fast switch' approach where I can store both sets of settings (three sets, if you consider that I sometimes need to use the laptop undocked at its native res).

Back
Top Bottom