Windows 7 DOD CAC Card Reader Problem

cyauch

Anyone using a CAC reader to access DOD systems? I've got a Precise Biometrics 100 / 200 reader, and an ActiveCard USB v2 reader. I am unable to get either to work with Win 7 AND read a DOD CAC card. All indications are that the drivers install correctly, but when inserting the card, it treats it as a new device, and then wants to install drivers for the card itself, which there aren't any cause its not a device :)

Additionally, has anyone been able to get the ActivClient software to install?

Thanks.

Have you tried Link Removed due to 404 Error to see if there is any info on your device there? I use the SCR331 which seems to work. My problem is with the digital certificate installation. Seems Windows 7 and Vista handle them somewhat differently than XP so the installers fail.

d

Thanks. I've been able to get the drivers installed, however, still can't get ActiveClient software installed. I downloaded the latest version available from the Navy's InfoSec website (from an NMCI system since i couldn't hit the site without using a CAC card), but just won't install. The error is 'incorrect OS version'. I've tried compatibility mode for Vista and XP SP3 with no luck. Do i really need this software, or can i force IE8 to use DOD certs and not worry about it? Previously, i could us IE7 without ActiveClient software, but with IE8, it wants it. Maybe a problem with IE 8 and not Win7?

I was able to successfully install Activecard 6.1 sp1 and the sp2 update by selecting Vista compatibility and "Run as Administrator" in the properites of all of the executables I found.

Has been working so far, since install 30 minutes ago.

CAC reader and NAvy INFOSEC site

I got the newest drivers from the Africom website. Link Removed due to 404 Error

The problem I'm having is that it seems the Navy's INFOSEC site doesn't like IE7 or 8. Loves IE6, tho. It also doesn't like Firefox, Chrome or Safari. There was a time when I thought all government sites were supposed to be browser neutral.:confused:

I think the problem is that the pop up for the security notice doesn't pop up right in IE7 or 8. I've tried disabling the pop up blocker, disabling anti-virus and nothing seems to work. I had it working for a little bit in Vista, but upgraded from IE7 to 8 and it stopped working. Tried going back to IE7 and it just won't work anymore. Windows XP and IE6 work great.

Anyone using a CAC reader to access DOD systems? I've got a Precise Biometrics 100 / 200 reader, and an ActiveCard USB v2 reader. I am unable to get either to work with Win 7 AND read a DOD CAC card. All indications are that the drivers install correctly, but when inserting the card, it treats it as a new device, and then wants to install drivers for the card itself, which there aren't any cause its not a device :)

Additionally, has anyone been able to get the ActivClient software to install?

Thanks.

Back