Does Anyone Know Anything About Running A DOS Game?

alfred01

Fantastic Member
Aloha. I have a game called Descent which is an old DOS game. I was able to play it on my last notebook which was running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and it ran without problem. Well, let's just say that notebook doesn't work anymore and so I loaded it (the game) onto my new notebook, d/l DirectX and DOSBOX but when I run the game I only get sound and no video. Descent is a 3D shooter game and you may be thinking what I am, that the notebook doesn't have a 3D function on the video card, but why, in this day and age would a manufacturer not put a 3D function on a video card? If anyone has any suggestions (regarding the game) I'd like to read them. I can't.....ah...afford another notebook. Any info would be appreciated. Info on the game!

Have you tried running the game from Windows 7 instead of through dosbox? That's the way I run Duke Nukem 3d and it runs without a problem.

I've seen some netbooks and older games have issues simply because of the odd resolution they run at as well.. could be the problem!

Both very helpful suggestions. Thank You guy's. :)

Edit: Unfortunately, neither worked. But Thanks!

Last edited:
Aloha. I have a game called Descent which is an old DOS game. I was able to play it on my last notebook which was running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and it ran without problem. Well, let's just say that notebook doesn't work anymore and so I loaded it (the game) onto my new notebook, d/l DirectX and DOSBOX but when I run the game I only get sound and no video. Descent is a 3D shooter game and you may be thinking what I am, that the notebook doesn't have a 3D function on the video card, but why, in this day and age would a manufacturer not put a 3D function on a video card? If anyone has any suggestions (regarding the game) I'd like to read them. I can't.....ah...afford another notebook. Any info would be appreciated. Info on the game!

Depending on the OS of your new notebook you may be able to run the game in VM (Windows XP Mode) also take a look at your display settings.

Try changing the output method in DOSBox:
open the dosbox configuration file and try different values of the output (surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw).

You could also try using DXX-Rebirth.
DXX-Rebirth is a Source Port of the Descent and Descent 2 Engines for Windows, Mac OS, Linux (most *NIX systems), offering OpenGL graphics and effects, advanced Multiplayer, many improvements and new features.

Have you tried running the game from Windows 7 instead of through dosbox? That's the way I run Duke Nukem 3d and it runs without a problem.
You can't run a DOS game directly in Windows 7 or Vista (different memory management, processor speed, different sound settings, DOS applications communicate with the hardware directly and Windows doesn't allow that...). Maybe there is a Windows version of Duke3D or you are using some source port (EDuke32, XDuke...).

Last edited:
This is weird, I'm getting everything in Afrikan laguage.

Thank You Ciara but I have to have the next version up from Home Basic to be able to download XP mode. :)

Thank You zirkoni, I will try that download. :)

Last edited:
I would like to Thank You all for your support. You are all shining examples of what this forum is all about. Sadly enough, you have all given me more support than the "tech support" of this computer, therefor I am returning it. I apologize for the waste of your time but there is just no point in keeping a piece of junk. You folks are great. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom