Windows 7 Does Windows 7 "Windows Update" scan "my" computer for updates or does…

yeto

Honorable Member
...it just check for any new updates since the last time I updated? I guess what I am asking is how do I know if my computer has all needed updates?

Thank you,
yeto

Thank you.

Would you know if WU scans my system to see what critical security updates I already have before it recommends what to add or does it just recommend what is new?

Other way around security updates are only available from the catalog. Non system updates will still come through Windows Update. Security rollup updates only come out once per month. Search Term for finding the security updates. Microsoft Update Catalog

Other way around security updates are only available from the catalog. Non system updates will still come through Windows Update. Security rollup updates only come out once per month. Search Term for finding the security updates. Microsoft Update Catalog

Hmm.. Well according to the Microsoft blog, unless things have changed?:

Monthly Rollups

Also today we are announcing that non-security updates for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 (as well as Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2) will be available as a monthly rollup (fixes rolled up together into a single update). Each month, we will release a single update containing all of the non-security fixes for that month. We are making this change – shifting to rollup updates, to improve the reliability and quality of our updates.
Reference: Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1

Found some clarification. The 'Security ONLY monthly rollups' are only available through the catalog. The 'Security Monthly Quality Rollups' are still available via Windows updates. Glad to know I was wrong :)

Lol to be honest I often have to double check on stuff as my memory is a little lacking (herbal ciggies) at times.. :devilish: :peace:

Especially if it will help users to be turned onto it's next os .. ;)

I tend to use Linux more than Windows at home :) but of course I still use Windows a lot (sys admin at work)

I know it's possible to play games on Linux but gather it's a bit short on triple A titles? I'm primarily a gamer at heart and have been since the early eighties.. The idea of Linux sounds great it's just the lack of games although I should imagine things have got better since i last had a look see..

Support for games has come a long way since steam came to Linux. All the borderlands games for example run natively on Linux.

Back
Top Bottom