Windows 7 don't want other PC's visible

mireazma

Hello.
I just got Windows 7 and already stomped into issues.
I can see other PC's in the network. That's wouldn't be so bad if I didn't know they can see me too. I'm not sociopath or something but I prefer privacy. Now I think it's my ISP's fault.
I'm connected to a LAN (local?) at all times and in order to access the internet I use a broadband ID and password connection.
In XP no PC is visible which is more comfortable but maybe they're there and only actively detectable. However, in 7 they're passively which I want to avoid.
I tried changing the workgroup name but it didn't work.
Oh, forgot to mention - a proof I'm not anti-social is that I actually wrote a txt file on the other PC in LAN in a folder and typed in some conversation (as in monologue).
So is there a way not to be accessible (be invisible) by the other PC's?

I can't think of any reason it would matter to privacy since the accounts should be passworded etc, unless your a paranoid kid up past bed time, a dodgy stalker spying on people or leeching data...

An ISP has absolutley nothing to do with your LAN settings, and it's also quite wrong to assume that in XP if you couldnt see them, that they cant see you.

Last edited:
You make me laugh. It's not quite the answer I was expecting. I'm just a regular user without much info on networking (unfortunately as I can see) - I guess like the majority of Windows users that's why what I say might sound stupid. That's why I need help from guys that know the insite of the matter. Man, I miss Windows 98 but that's a different story. So, I'm not a kid :)

1. Tell me honestly, do you see other PC's in your Windows Explorer? Of course without having a LAN party :). If you do, you're fine with it?

2. I don't know about your ISP, but mine apparently uses a LAN (wherever it may be located) and the actual connection to the internet. Maybe it's in my block, maybe it's a WAN under the name of LAN, at their servers? (told you I'd be saying rubbish). All I know is they gave me a wire and I plugged it into my PC.

3. Not too clear about XP: are the PC's detectable?

About the kid/stalker can you hear yourself? So fearing a thief makes you one, now? Actually you were close: I'm a hacker. Apparently anybody can be. Don't you understand that I wrote a txt file on a PC in the network? And written stuff in there? I hope you won't tell me that user - Christina - was looking to make new friends. And not everybody uses a password. What if I put an infected file in there? And even so, with passwords, how do you call the fact that network users are aware who is at the PC at one moment? Windows Online Notifier? Don't mind if I call it "privacy violation".
I'd like to hear others' opinion as well. But that's not why I posted. I need guidance with the problem

Well the only PC's i get are the other 3 household ones, but that's no biggie... as for XP being detectable... yes, more so and far less secure.

lol, ok so it sounds like you are on community network not a normal connection, it seems very unusual to have a LAN based ISP, unless you live in one of those small villages that have only a single connection shared. To be honest on such a network you wont get much privacy without crippling the functionality, although windows 7 already has a very good 2 way firewall and account security, the risks are pretty low if the windows updates are done often, and you use long passwords that are mixed numbers and letters (about 15 characters).

You can certainly disable all the sharing features from the network, so all the other users will see is your PC name, and have no access, this can be simply done through the network and sharing from control panel, goto the advanced settings and knock off the sharing options. If you feel you need more security you could disable ping responses but that would break many online games.

Last edited:
Back