Windows 10 Download but not install until after July?

Paula

Honorable Member
Can I download the Windows 10 version that is still free but not install it until a later time and not get charged for it because I did not install until after the free deadline?

You can make a dvd of the install to reuse but as for the timing no the date of install and activation to be free must be before July 30
unless Microsoft extends that date which of course is always possible.
Windows 10
scroll down a bit to see that.

You can make a dvd of the install to reuse but as for the timing no the date of install and activation to be free must be before July 30
unless Microsoft extends that date which of course is always possible.
Windows 10
scroll down a bit to see that.
OK Thanks!
I guess I'll have to skip it then. I have a Mac which I am running in a VM with Parallels and Windows 8 but Parallels version 10 in not 100% compatible with Windows 10. So even if I got windows 10 for free, I would have to purchase the Parallels upgrade to be 100% compatible and then probably have to purchase Parallels again, when the next version of Mac Os comes out.

Oh well, I don't use the windows side too much so I guess I'll just have to stick with Windows 8.

Thank you for your response.

With Windows, you can always select to launch a program in compatibility mode, and that goes all the way back to xp, so if you just run the VM in compatibility mode for Windows 7 on Windows 10 it will still work.(basically an emulator) Upgrading is both a good thing and a bad thing though. However, I wouldn't skip the upgrade just because of your VM not running in Windows 10.

Hello Paula. You can create an image of your current operating system with something like Macrium Reflect Free edition. You can get that here.

Macrium Reflect Free

Then you can go ahead and do an in place upgrade to Windows 10 so that you at least get the free upgrade - and after the upgrade is done and activated you can create a DVD from this link here.

Windows 10

This way you have that free upgrade accomplished, and you can then simply go back to the image you have created with Macrium Reflect (or you can use Acronis) to the state your current operating system is in now and you will be ready when you do upgrade your Parallels to be fully compatible with windows 10. Hope that helps you out.

Hi! Great advice! @William B Once you have a image of W7 with Macrium Reflect, Use the MCT(Windows 10)
to upgrade to windows 10,then create a image of W10. Now you can roll back and forth when ever you want. Not sure you will be able to do this after July 30, but I see no reason it won't work after that! You should be able to rollback and forth!:)
We never know what MS will do.

Last edited:
Back