Windows 7 Downloads won't install/become corrupted

Willow

Hi Guys.

Today, I recieved my new Sony VAIO F Series laptop, which is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

However, I cannot install any updates, or download any programs and run them.
For example, I download Firefox and during the installation process the file says its corrupted.
Or, when I download Windows Security Essentials the file also shows as being corrupt mid-install.

The PC has had no settings changed, it is at factory settings. I have restored the computer but the same problem is happening. Could the problem be a bad OS install?

Any help would be appreciated.

Willow does this happen every time you try to install anything? If so, then you could be right although to be honest it could be any number of things..
If I was you I'd phone or contact your supplier as it's still under warranty, right?.. Why should you go to the trouble of correcting their mess?

I've tried lots of different programs: Google Earth, Chrome, VLC, etc. etc.
Yeah, its still under warranty as its literally about 5 hours old.

Thank you for your reply, I'll be contacting them first thing monday morning.

Do you have a screenshot of the error message or is it just generic?

All the errors are generic and contain nothing useful, all basically say "This file is Corrupt" before the installation/windows update closes.

Also would you mind posting your model serial number.. Check the screenshot and it shows you where to find it:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

For some reason I just can't find your lappie... Could be tiredness I guess.. I was trying to find a trouble shooter of sorts.. Here's the page,, You might have more luck than me?

Vaio : Sony Europe

I got access to that website using my unique laptop serial number, which was found on the botton of the laptop. The site doesn't contain anything useful to solve the problem, thanks for looking.

Does the downloaded file have a "generic" icon"?

What type of Internet connection are you using?

The icon is what it should be, its what it looks like normally. (If that makes sense)
My internet is fibre optic from Virgin Media, and using a Wireless router, it doesn't seem to be a network problem though.

I got access to that website using my unique laptop serial number, which was found on the botton of the laptop. The site doesn't contain anything useful to solve the problem, thanks for looking.

Hmm... Did you notice this notice about an update for your model? I just wonder if it will help? (I know it's perhaps a long shot but you just never know sometimes...)

Last edited:
The icon is what it should be, its what it looks like normally. (If that makes sense)
My internet is fibre optic from Virgin Media, and using a Wireless router, it doesn't seem to be a network problem though.

That's strange, if the icon is different for every download.

What is your typical download speed on your fibre optic connection?

Do you have a wired connection you could use?

Hmm... Did you notice this notice about an update for your model? I just wonder if it will help? (I know it's perhaps a long shot but you just never know sometimes...)

Yes, I downloaded that earlier. (Had to transfer it via memory stick from another computer) Didn't really do anything of interest.

That's strange, if the icon is different for every download.

What is your typical download speed on your fibre optic connection?

Do you have a wired connection you could use?

The internet connection is 20 megabit, usually get pretty close to that.
I do have access to a wired connection, I may try that tomorrow.

Hmm..will you let us know how things go after you checked the connection? Plus why not give the call centre a ring...

Good idea Kemical,

New laptop.............call toll-free support center

Fibre optic to wireless.............does that make sense?

Must be one hell of an expensive router.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed reply...

Thanks to the two of you who helped me.

After ringing support, speaking to some people in university and some of my own investigating it seems that my old router decided it didn't like my new laptop.
After I had a new one sent to my by my Broadband company everything was fine.

Many thanks again,
Willow

Great to hear you got it sorted and thanks for the update too.. :)

Back