Windows 7 Drag & Drop multitasking problems?

JasonWright

I am really hating Win7 right about now...

Here's a regular daily duty for me. I put a camera CF card into a USB reader and put it into the USB slot. I then create folders on a hard drive for each day of photos that was on the CF card, and I drag all the Monday stuff from the CF into a Monday folder, and the Tuesday stuff to a Tuesday folder, etc. On my P4 machine running XP this works great. I can take one CF card and drag files from it to many different folders and they all start transferring at the same time. I can then leave it and come back when it's done.

With my Win7 x64 machine with Core i7 and 8 GB of RAM... a machine that should be WORLDS faster... this same task I've described gives the machine fits. Dragging to files to the first folder starts a transfer, but when I grab another group of files to drag to a different folder, Explorer thinks for a while and then goes to "NOT RESPONDING". I tried this 4 times in a row with the same result. I had to end the explorer task each time. I finally gave up and would transfer all of my first day's files, wait 45 minutes for it to be done, then go and transfer my 2nd day's files and wait, then repeat. WTF???:confused: And what's with this green status bar in explorer? It was much much faster in XP on a much much slower machine. I'm very disappointed so far in my Win7 experience. :(

I am really hating Win7 right about now...

Here's a regular daily duty for me. I put a camera CF card into a USB reader and put it into the USB slot. I then create folders on a hard drive for each day of photos that was on the CF card, and I drag all the Monday stuff from the CF into a Monday folder, and the Tuesday stuff to a Tuesday folder, etc. On my P4 machine running XP this works great. I can take one CF card and drag files from it to many different folders and they all start transferring at the same time. I can then leave it and come back when it's done.

With my Win7 x64 machine with Core i7 and 8 GB of RAM... a machine that should be WORLDS faster... this same task I've described gives the machine fits. Dragging to files to the first folder starts a transfer, but when I grab another group of files to drag to a different folder, Explorer thinks for a while and then goes to "NOT RESPONDING". I tried this 4 times in a row with the same result. I had to end the explorer task each time. I finally gave up and would transfer all of my first day's files, wait 45 minutes for it to be done, then go and transfer my 2nd day's files and wait, then repeat. WTF???:confused: And what's with this green status bar in explorer? It was much much faster in XP on a much much slower machine. I'm very disappointed so far in my Win7 experience. :(

I'd venture a guess that a system file is corrupt. Run "sfc /scannow" (w/o the quotes) from an elevated command prompt. You may have to insert your Win7 System Disk if it needs to replace file(s).

Thanks, I'll try that tonight when I get home to that machine and I'll report back. (It's not connected to the net so I have to ask questions at work and then go try solutions later).

Back