Windows 7 Dreamweaver 8.0.2 on Windows 7

CyBrett

Some of you may encounter people that have older versions of Dreamweaver. I'm currently running Dreamweaver 8 but am going to be upgrading. If thats not possible for you, then here's a solution for getting Dreamweaver 8 to work on Windows 7.

Dreamweaver 8 installs off of the disk without any issues. However when you start editing pages, you'll notice that it will randomly just close out for no reason. It did the same thing in Windows Vista. The fix for this in Windows Vista was to download and install the 8.0.2 patch located on Adobe's website. Once installed, the problem goes away. The 8.0.2 patch will not install correctly on a Windows 7 system however. You get an error message stating that "The wizard was interrupted before Macromedia Dreamweaver 8.0.2 Updater could be completely installed". Even if you use compatibility mode and run as an administrator it will still not install.

The trick is to download the unwrapped installer file from adobe and use the windows installer via the command prompt to install the update. The unwrapped installer can be downloaded from http://kb2.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/kb400150/DW802_unwrapped.zip.

Unzip the installer to a folder that is easily reachable by the command prompt. The file inside is called patchpackage.msp.

Open up a command prompt as an Administrator. (Right click the icon and choose run as Administrator).

Navigate to where the patchpackage.msp is located and type in the following and press enter:

msiexec /update patchpackage.msp

The patch will begin to install. During the install you may be asked for the CD because it will look for the Macromedia Dreamweaver 8.msi file.

Once the install is complete 8.0.2 will be installed.

Hope this helps,

CyBrett

this was very timely and helpful. I've been fighting this problem since the early days of windows 7 beta testing - thank you!

Cybrett, thanks for such a good article. I have a small questions for you regarding this part here:

The patch will begin to install. During the install you may be asked for the CD because it will look for the Macromedia Dreamweaver 8.msi file.

I don't have the CD of it as I have the installer on Adobe's website. I will need to download the installer and install it on the system. Now, your step as quoted above requires .msi file, is this still can be achieved using a .exe installer from adobe's website and not using any CD?

I will be upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, therefore:
- Just to confirm, DW 8 will work on Windows 7 64 bit, won't it?
- Do I need Windows 7 professional version for this DW 8 to work (because of the xp mode) .. or do you think it's totally unnecessary to have that?

Thanks a lot for the help.

It worked for me!

Thanks a ton for the information Cybrett. I don't have windows 7 but I do have Vista 64bit. I am not that experienced in the prompt, but I had saved the patch into my windows/system32 folder and then ran the prompt. It didn't tell me to use the install cd at all and seems to be working beautifully.

You rock as I have been dealing with this for nearly 6 months!

Hi CyBrett. Finally got the patch to load and complete. **Had to reboot on 64bit** to make it work. Even so, Dreamweaver highly unstable when adding Sites. Managed to get 1 site locked in then it just crashed again. Editing individual pages seems ok. However, DW seems not to like going deep through directories (>3 levels) to map sites. I am perservering - mainly because I have many sites where I use Libraries, and OpenSource Kompozer doesn't recognise DW's Library system - so I have to make DW8 work. Has anybody else got the Site Manager problem? Found a fix?

Now 2 days later - still having problems and seem to be getting worse. Now can't add any more sites. This is a serious incompatibility problem. The Macromedia suite is installed in the Program Files (x86) directory.

Is Adobe doing nothing for DW support on Win 7?

Last edited:
Hi,

There is an identified issue with Office 2007 and Windows Vista and Windows 7.

"Dreamweaver 8 may crash when it performs file browsing actions on Microsoft Windows Vista. Some examples include:
  • Using File > Open to browse the hard drive to open a file.
  • Inserting an image and using the file browser to select the image.
  • Creating a hyperlink and using the file browser to select the target file.
  • Creating a site definition and using the file browser to select the local root folder or remote folder.
Additional reported behavior includes:
  • Crash occurs when a file browsing dialog appears.
  • Crash occurs when browsing two or more folders away.
  • Crash occurs after inserting four images.
  • Crash occurs when you leave the file browsing dialog box open for a period of time. "
The solution is documented at Adobe: Dreamweaver 8 crashes while browsing files (Windows Vista). There is a conflict between Dreamweaver 8 and the Groove component of Microsoft Office 2007 on Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7. I removed Groove and Dreamweaver now works.

Dreamweaver 8 vs Windows 7

can you help please.

I recently purchased a new pc (windows 7) and loaded Dreamweaver 8 but for some reason when i attempt to run the program it will not start - ive gone through the threads on this forum and tried the methods suggested but it still wont work - any ideas please.

thank you.

Thanks for the solution. I had installed Windows7 weeks ago and never tried to use Dreamweaver8 since then -- of course, when I urgently needed it, it wouldn't work. Now it works.

All program need to "Run As Admin"?
im kinda lazy if always like that

Disable ur UAC for more easy,all program are in ur Admin control.No need "Run As Admin" anymore

Go to Control Panel>In "Search Control Panel" type "UAC"
Action Center will be appear,then "Change User Account Control settings" and put it "Never Notify".Then ur done

dreamweaver 8 & windows 7

Just to make sure I'm doing this right. Do I install dreamweaver first then download the unwrapped installer file or download the installer file first?

Thank you

Would you please help me. Not sure how to navigate to where I downloaded the installer using the command prompt. I have tried every which way with no luck.

Thanks,

Some of you may encounter people that have older versions of Dreamweaver. I'm currently running Dreamweaver 8 but am going to be upgrading. If thats not possible for you, then here's a solution for getting Dreamweaver 8 to work on Windows 7.

Dreamweaver 8 installs off of the disk without any issues. However when you start editing pages, you'll notice that it will randomly just close out for no reason. It did the same thing in Windows Vista. The fix for this in Windows Vista was to download and install the 8.0.2 patch located on Adobe's website. Once installed, the problem goes away. The 8.0.2 patch will not install correctly on a Windows 7 system however. You get an error message stating that \"The wizard was interrupted before Macromedia Dreamweaver 8.0.2 Updater could be completely installed\". Even if you use compatibility mode and run as an administrator it will still not install.

The trick is to download the unwrapped installer file from adobe and use the windows installer via the command prompt to install the update. The unwrapped installer can be downloaded from http://kb2.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/kb400150/DW802_unwrapped.zip.

Unzip the installer to a folder that is easily reachable by the command prompt. The file inside is called patchpackage.msp.

Open up a command prompt as an Administrator. (Right click the icon and choose run as Administrator).

Navigate to where the patchpackage.msp is located and type in the following and press enter:

Hope this helps,

CyBrett

You could try and use tools such as File Monitor to find out where the files are being extracted to, and make your own copy of the MSI file so you can run it as Administrator. However an easier option:

1. Download the unwrapped 8.0.2 update from Adobe: http://kb2.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/kb400150/DW802_unwrapped.zip
2. Extract the files into a root directory. There should be only one MSI file.
3. Open an administrator privilaged command prompt by typing in the Start menu "Command" and right clicking the "Command Prompt" option and selecting "Run as Administrator"
4. Navigate to the directory you extracted the files to using the CD command
5. Once in the directory with the MSI file run the following command: msiexec /update patchpackage.msp
6. Step through the installer, and everything should be fine, open Dream Weaver and go to Help -> About to verify the patch installed.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the unwrapped but can't seem to navigate to where it is through the CD command. What root directory should it be in? I found it going another way but I was unable to utilize it. When I open help to verify, I don't see it. However I am able to use dreamweaver with my windows 7 but it seems a bit disconbobulated. I have all the .exe & .dll files under my sie files... doesn't seem like they should be in this folder but not sure how window 7 organizes. I'm attaching a screen shot for you to see how the files organized themselves. Please let me know how I might be able to get this working the same as it did in window xp.

Attachments

• dreamweaver..docx
    165 KB · Views: 1,257
can you help please.

I recently purchased a new pc (windows 7) and loaded Dreamweaver 8 but for some reason when i attempt to run the program it will not start - ive gone through the threads on this forum and tried the methods suggested but it still wont work - any ideas please.

thank you.

Hello,
I face similar problem while installing the dreamweaver latest version after asking my friend who was software engineer he guides me to use older version of it and wait till the officially release of the upgraded dreamweaver then i got solve my problem hope it wiil helpful to you..

Thanks

Hi,
It does work for me but the files don't see to be puting themselves in the right folders, it's a mess.

:(

Hello,
I face similar problem while installing the dreamweaver latest version after asking my friend who was software engineer he guides me to use older version of it and wait till the officially release of the upgraded dreamweaver then i got solve my problem hope it wiil helpful to you..

When i right click the icon there isn't run as administrator option...

What will I do...I need dreamweaver so badly :'(

Hi CyBrett,

Infact 'am overwhelmed with your support, it really helped. I have been battling with this Window 7 - Dreamweaver disparity over 2 months but with your suggested/provided solutions, it is now things of the past.

Once agains, i am grateful for your support.

Dreamweaver 8 installs off of the disk without any issues. However when you start editing pages, you'll notice that it will randomly just close out for no reason. It did the same thing in Windows Vista. The fix for this in Windows Vista was to download and install the 8.0.2 patch located on Adobe's website. Once installed, the problem goes away. The 8.0.2 patch will not install correctly on a Windows 7 system however. You get an error message stating that "The wizard was interrupted before Macromedia Dreamweaver 8.0.2 Updater could be completely installed". Even if you use compatibility mode and run as an administrator it will still not install.

Hope this helps,

CyBrett

Cybrett, thanks for such a good article. I have a small questions for you regarding this part here:

I don't have the CD of it as I have the installer on Adobe's website. I will need to download the installer and install it on the system. Now, your step as quoted above requires .msi file, is this still can be achieved using a .exe installer from adobe's website and not using any CD?

I will be upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, therefore:
- Just to confirm, DW 8 will work on Windows 7 64 bit, won't it?
- Do I need Windows 7 professional version for this DW 8 to work (because of the xp mode) .. or do you think it's totally unnecessary to have that?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Thanks a ton for the information Cybrett. I don't have windows 7 but I do have Vista 64bit. I am not that experienced in the prompt, but I had saved the patch into my windows/system32 folder and then ran the prompt. It didn't tell me to use the install cd at all and seems to be working beautifully.

You rock as I have been dealing with this for nearly 6 months!

[langtitle=de]Re: Dreamweaver 8.0.2 on Windows 7[/langtitle]

[lang=de]Hallo und danke für den Artikel. Ich habe das jetzt schon öfter gelesen, mit dieser "unwrapped" Installation des Updates.
Leider funktioniert das auf meinem System nicht, da der Windows Installer 5 immer meckert:
"Die zu installierende Software konnte nicht installiert/upgedated werden, das das installierte Produkt nicht gefunden wurde oder der gleichen Versionen entspricht. Update nicht möglich." (Mit eigenen Worten wieder gegeben, das copy und paste nicht ging.)
Bitte, hat jemand da eine Hilfe für mich.
Dreamweaver 8.0 läuft unter Win 7 ultimate 64 bit, 4 GB RAM, AMD Athlon 64 X2.
Dreamweaver schon reinstalliert: Keine Verbesserung.
Habe Dreamweaver schon versucht, sich selbt reparieren zu lassen: Das Produkt wurde einwandfrei installiert.
Es ist in der Programmliste aufgelistet als ordnungsgemäß installiert (wurde auch als Admin installiert).
Es funktioniert soweit ganz gut, ich bräucht aber die Funktion der sichtbaren "Includes" aus diesem Update.
Bitte! Hat jemand eine Idee?[/lang]

Re: dreamweaver 8 & windows 7

Worked for me too. Great advice. Thanks!

Installing 8.0.2 (on Win7 64bit) also got rid of extremely annoying 'losing FTP password everytime I exit Dreamweaver' issue.

Back
Top Bottom