Windows 8 Driver for OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

bob23

I am trying to install Win 8 Pro on my HP Firebird with Q6600 processor. I have a brand new OCZ Vertex 3 solid state drive (SSD) that I am trying to install it on. I am using a new Win 8 Pro disk. After accepting the Win 8 key that I inputted, I am being asked for the SSD driver. As far as I know, the SSD didn't ship with any drivers, and I couldn't find one for this particular SSD on the OCZ website, though it appears they do have a download to update the firmware. I'm almost sure I am missing something obvious, and I would even try a Win 7 driver if I could find one.

Any help you can give me would really be appreciated.

Hi bob,

are you sure it's not asking for a storage driver? Like a AHC1 driver or similar? Saltgrass is your man to ask. Hopefully he'll see this post.. I'll try pming him..

Sorry, I gave the wrong processor, CPU-Z reports it as a Intel Core 2 quad Q9400. All I know is that when I try to install windows on the OCZ SSD it says it cant find the driver. And it says it can search a USB drive also.

Also, I should note that I had previously upgraded from Vista to Win 8 Pro via a download onto an older mechanical hard drive on this same computer, and the install DVD I am trying to use now with the new SDD is the one I purchased when I did that download. (the DVD was sent to me by mail). It is a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro.

So I am basically trying to install onto the new SSD what was put earlier onto the older hard drive.

Without any basic info about your system, except the processor, it might be a little hard to determine.

I do remember someone earlier having a problem with a specific Vertex drive, but I do not remember which one. If there is a firmware update, it might help.

If you have the drive attached to a separate controller than the chipset, it may need a special driver. I assume you do not have any USB 3.0 ports, but there have been such messages when someone tried to use one of them for an install.

If it is an older system, a DVD drive may need updating or replacement. Perhaps try the flash drive method to see if it helps.

And it is not normally a good thing, but if I understand your situation, you might image the old drive then re-image back to the SSD.

Maybe some system specifics and how your system is configured could help. For instance, what motherboard and where are your drives connected...etc.

Thanks Clark, much appreciated. :)

Bob if you download the app found here: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/hwinfo64_download.html

Install it and launch it on summary only (a box appears on launch asking which) then take a screen shot by holding down the windows key on your k'board and pressing 'Print Screen'. This will then place a folder entitled 'Screenshots' in your Picture library containing said screenshot. Here's mine:

info system.jpg

Just to add, to make the file size smaller. Open the screenshot in Paint and then save it as a Jpeg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info. I posted on the OCZ forums and got a response that this SSD doesn't require any drivers. That gave me confidence to ignore the question and try to bypass it, and lo and behold, Windows 8 installed perfectly to the SDD. I'll keep your suggestions in mind tho, because seems like things like this happen to me more often than they should. They look like good workarounds. The old hard disk(s) on this computer were 5400 rpm, so were slow, but this SSD really make a world of difference in the speed of startup and anything that loads from the hard drive.

Without any basic info about your system, except the processor, it might be a little hard to determine.

I do remember someone earlier having a problem with a specific Vertex drive, but I do not remember which one. If there is a firmware update, it might help.

If you have the drive attached to a separate controller than the chipset, it may need a special driver. I assume you do not have any USB 3.0 ports, but there have been such messages when someone tried to use one of them for an install.

If it is an older system, a DVD drive may need updating or replacement. Perhaps try the flash drive method to see if it helps.

And it is not normally a good thing, but if I understand your situation, you might image the old drive then re-image back to the SSD.

Maybe some system specifics and how your system is configured could help. For instance, what motherboard and where are your drives connected...etc.

Back