Windows 7 Dual monitor problems.

Doc

Hey folks! First off, so glad to see a support forum for windows 7!

I'm installed and working fine but I'm having an issue with my dual monitor setup. I have a pair of Samsung 22" LCD's. When I first installed, both worked but the second monitor would show only the wallpaper. I was unable to move my mouse or any active windows over to that monitor.

Shortly after I messed with the settings, all active windows would only open in the second monitor, but as I could not move the mouse that that screen, I was unable to access those windows, except my keyboard shortcuts.

As it is now, my second monitor has been disabled completely until I get this figured out. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
i have a dual monitor setup, i just went to extend the monitor, then dragged the boxes to the left or right side .

Well have you tried dragging your mouse all around the screens corners to see if it went onto the screen?

If it does then all you do is right click on your desktop. Click screen resolution. then click and drag your second monitor display to your desired side.

-kaptinkurk

How did you connect your sound? Digital? AV? 3.5 jack? These may be your mistake if you didn't connect properly.

What sound card are you using? What driver, is it updated?

-kaptinkurk

hi, i use a hdmi cable and as of yesterday, before i installed windows 7 everything worked great now i don't even have a dvd/cd-rom anymore...is there a way to re-install vista? since i can't use my recovery disks......sorry to jump off the topic

What I would try to do is put in your recovery disk then go to the "boot-options" on start up and select your CD-ROM, or does your CD-ROM not work? If your CD-ROM does not work then i would try and use an alternative computer and copy all of the files from your recovery disk/disks onto a flash drive or jump drive. Then during start up select "boot-options" and select your flash drive. Everything should work fine that way.

And is your CD-ROM not compatible with windows 7?

-kaptinkurk

My setup is an EVGA 7900 GTO with two Dell LCD's a 2007WFP and a 2005WFP, both LCD are found by the nVidia drivers. However, when the nVidia drivers are not installed and only the WDDM 1.0 are used the 2005WFP is no longer found, verified by using Detect in Screen Resolution. I believe this is the root cause of my inability to have both Monitors function. If I was to flip the cables in the ports, the 2005WFP becomes active as the Extended Desktop and the 2007WFP is then disabled. It should be noted that as of yesterday afternoon prior to the installation of Win 7, this setup was functioning properly.

I don't believe that it is windows 7 that is making the problems of Dual-Screening. I myself have 2 monitors installed and I have also plugged in 3 to see if it worked. You might want to make sure all of your drivers are installed properly. Just to make sure I would uninstall the drivers then go to the nvidia website (in you use nvidia) and re-download the drivers. I also recommend that you download the vista drivers, this may fix your problem.

This fixed my driver problems when I had the problem of starting up and everything was blackish.

-kaptinkurk

From every problem i have heard in the topic it sounds like all of you have drivers that are for one reason or another not working correctly. Please ensure that you have the latest drivers for windows VISTA downloaded and installed. Otherwise you will just have to wait.

From every problem i have heard in the topic it sounds like all of you have drivers that are for one reason or another not working correctly. Please ensure that you have the latest drivers for windows VISTA downloaded and installed. Otherwise you will just have to wait.

Srry for the disrespect but you just quoted what I had just said.

Last edited:
Uh no i added a couple of other thing like the fact that they will have to wait unbtil a compatible driver becomes available. It was necessary to restate what you said for the post to make since. Im sorry you feel i have copied but i have been posting about driver problems throughout the forum.

I was only messing with you anyway :p just felt like saying it so you would know, you know?

and after this post i wont go any further off topic

This forum is to get to the bottom of problems and help people with windows 7, NOT to joke around with people. Please keep the topics on topic and no joking. Thanks!

Its actually working now. Just started working on its own.

I am pretty certain its not a driver issue. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers but the problem was that I was unable to move active windows or my mouse arrow onto the second monitor.

So do you know how the problem was fixed? So other people will know. Or did it just all of a sudden start working? Did you do anything out of the ordinary before it started working?

Thats the problem. I don't. It just started working. I've been trying to recreate the problem but no use. Its working perfect.

Well it is good to here you resolved them.

Anyone else having problems just ask and i'll try and help them :D

Further research has determined, oddly enough, that a simple swapping of ports resolves this issue. It did not work last night, however this evening it has worked. It should also be noted that this afternoon I replaced my drivers *again*, and only minutes ago swapped ports. Upon swapping ports both monitors are functioning properly. So while the drivers may be at fault, I am clueless as to where the fault lays and how to recreate said issue. Possibly by uninstalling the nVidia driver, recreation of the problem can occur. Which does seem likely as Windows by itself, without the nVidia drivers would not recognise the 2nd monitor. The question then becomes, is the issue based in the WDDM drivers as installed upon installation or some fault elsewhere.

You wouldn't think that that would fix it so easily :p

I'll have to let my friend know this that is having the same problems

Back
Top Bottom