Motek

Hello folks, I discovered this forum via. Google and it looks like you guys could definitely help me out with the problem I'm having.

I just wiped my Beta release from the partition I have for Windows 7, and installed Release Candidate 1 last night. Everything went fine and dandy until I got to my desktop, and noticed that my dual monitor wasn't working right.

The problem occurred when I first tried to change the resolution on my secondary monitor. The screen went black as normal, but when it stopped, the screen lit up and all I saw was lines. I manages to correct this by setting the resolution to 1024x768, then reverting changes to 800x600 (Yes, it's a small monitor). That worked fine, and then I shut down for the night. I booted this morning, and the same thing.

Does anyone know why it's doing this, and possibly because it's not properly keeping my resolution files or something?

EDIT: I should note that pressing Windows+P, selecting Duplicate, and then pressing same combo again and switching back to extend will also correct the screen to normal.

Last edited:
It seems like you are facing an issue with your dual monitor setup after installing Windows 7 Release Candidate 1. The problem you described with the screen displaying lines after changing the resolution on your secondary monitor could be related to graphics driver issues or resolution settings not being saved correctly.

Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue with your dual monitor setup:

1. Update Graphics Drivers:
- Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can often cause display issues.
- Visit the website of your graphics card manufacturer (NVIDIA, AMD, Intel) and download the latest drivers for your specific graphics card model.

2. Adjust Display Settings:
- Go to "Control Panel" -> "Appearance and Personalization" -> "Display" -> "Change display settings."
- Make sure the resolution settings for both monitors are correctly configured.
- Check if the recommended resolution for each monitor matches the native resolution of the displays.

3. Check Monitor Cables and Connections:
- Ensure that all cables connecting your monitors to the computer are securely plugged in.
- Try using different cables or ports if available to rule out any hardware issues.

4. Windows Key + P Shortcut:
- As you mentioned, using the Windows Key + P shortcut to switch between display modes (Duplicate, Extend) can sometimes help reset the display configuration.
- Try switching between different display modes to see if it resolves the issue temporarily.

5. Monitor Firmware Update:
- Check if there are any firmware updates available for your monitors. Updating the firmware can sometimes address compatibility issues.

6. Reset Display Settings:
- If the issue persists, you can try resetting the display settings to their default values and then reconfigure the dual monitor setup.

After trying these steps, if the issue continues to persist, it may be beneficial to perform a more in-depth troubleshooting process or seek assistance from the manufacturer's support for your graphics card or monitor.

Feel free to try these steps and let me know if you need further assistance with any specific troubleshooting methods or if you encounter any issues during the process.

Back