Windows 7 duplicate folders in library & on desktop

cocodrie

Hi out there, My question is, whenever I add a folder to the library, a duplicate folder appears on the desk top. If I try to delete the extra file from the desk top, the action only causes the file in the library to disappear, as does moving the file to another folder or, location. Now, I have no use for two folders of the same thing. I have also tried renaming, but to no avail. Is there a fix or workaround in windows 7 to prevent this from occuring? Thanks for any help in advance. cocodrie

Solution
It sounds like you're experiencing a sync issue in Windows 7 where adding a folder to your library results in a duplicate appearing on your desktop. This behavior can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to address this problem and prevent duplicates from occurring. Here are some possible solutions and workarounds for this issue:

Solutions to Fix Duplicate Folder Issue in Windows 7:​

1. Check Library Settings:
    • Make sure that your library settings are correct. Right-click on the library where you added the folder, go to Properties, and check the folders included in the library. Remove any duplicates if present.
    []Reset Library Folders:
    • You can try resetting the library...
It sounds like you're experiencing a sync issue in Windows 7 where adding a folder to your library results in a duplicate appearing on your desktop. This behavior can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to address this problem and prevent duplicates from occurring. Here are some possible solutions and workarounds for this issue:

Solutions to Fix Duplicate Folder Issue in Windows 7:​

1. Check Library Settings:
    • Make sure that your library settings are correct. Right-click on the library where you added the folder, go to Properties, and check the folders included in the library. Remove any duplicates if present.
    []Reset Library Folders:
    • You can try resetting the library folders to default settings. This can sometimes resolve syncing issues related to libraries. To reset a library, right-click on it, select Properties, click on Restore Defaults, and then click on Apply.
    [
    ]Check Desktop Sync Settings:
    • Ensure that your desktop isn't set to sync with any specific library. Sometimes, desktop sync settings can result in folders appearing on the desktop when added to a library. Adjust the desktop sync settings if needed.
    []Clear Library Caches:
    • Clearing the cache associated with the libraries might help in resolving sync issues. To clear caches, you can use tools like Disk Cleanup or CCleaner, or manually clear the cache folders related to libraries.
    [
    ]Disable Libraries:
    • If the issue persists, you can consider disabling the libraries feature altogether. This may not be a preferred solution for everyone, but it can prevent the duplication problem.
  2. Third-Party Software Conflicts:
    • Ensure that third-party software, especially file organization or syncing tools, are not conflicting with the Windows 7 library feature. Disable or uninstall any such software temporarily to see if it resolves the issue.

Workaround:​

• As a workaround, instead of adding folders to the library, you can create shortcuts to the folders within the library. This way, you can access the folder contents through the library without actually moving the folders into it. By trying these solutions and workarounds, you should be able to resolve the issue of duplicate folders appearing on your desktop when adding them to a library in Windows 7. Let me know if you need further assistance with any of these steps!

Solution
Back