Windows 7 DVD/CD-ROM Drive problem

Hiram

Extraordinary Member
Dear friends:

This is my first post. I hope I do it right.

I recently bought an Asus U50F notebook. Pretty good so far. But for the past few days, the DVD/CD-ROM E: drive disappears from My Computer. I go to Device Manager and it shows as disabled (Code 22). I proceed to enable it, and it then shows under My Computer again (and works well). But a little while later, it happens again, and I must return to Device Mgr to enable it. This is a continuous issue. I get no help from googling. The drive is a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ892AS. I have Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks,
Hiram

Is the dvd enabled on system startup ?

Code 22 only means that the device is disabled. If no software (like a tweak) disables the dvd drive, then it should be on after you reenable it and reboot.

Cybercore:

It certainly does work after it is reenabled. But at any time it can disappear again, and then I must go thru the process again and again. I have not rebooted immediately after I enable it, but when I booted first thing this morning, it was disabled. I'll enable it and reboot immediately to see what happens.

In the meantime, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Cybercore:

It certainly does work after it is reenabled. But at any time it can disappear again, and then I must go thru the process again and again. I have not rebooted immediately after I enable it, but when I booted first thing this morning, it was disabled. I'll enable it and reboot immediately to see what happens.

In the meantime, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Hiram, forgive me if I am asking something that you have already tried, but I believe it is important to reboot after you enable it. If still no luck there, try system restore. If the problem persists, then it is one of the following:

1. the dvd drive is not properly connected inside your pc
2. in rare cases, certain software can disable it
3. the driver files might be somehow corrupted, but in such case it would give you error 24

Code 22 = device is disabled

Right-click your dvd-drive > update driver

or

You can also try right-clicking your dvd-drive > remove driver > reboot system > right click on the device again > update driver.

Cybercore:

You can ask me all the questions you want and insist on all you can.

I am not a real techy and you seem to know what you're talking about.

I'll try the steps you suggested and get back to you.

Thanks.

Cybercore:

The reboot after enable option didn't work.

I tried the usually trustworthy System Restore, taking it back to Apr 22, since I can't recall when the issue started. This is before a number of Windows Updates, and before installing/uninstalling a program called Jing about a week ago.

I'll see and let you know. Be on the lookout.

Thanks.

Hello Cybercore:

After going the System Restore route, I can say that the problem seems to be resolved. No longer has the DVD E: Drive been disabled and disappear.

I have another question: if this is not the place, please forgive me and advise, and I'll submit elsewhere.

I have another laptop which I upgraded from Vista to Win7. There are a few programs, especially "File Shredder", which I access a lot with a right-click. But, upon buying my new Win 7-64 bit laptop, a number of these do not provide for right-click access. I have un-installed and re-installed, but no luck. I really wish I could use File Shredder.

Any suggestions, or is this a Win 7 thing?

Thanks a lot.

You probably need to start a new thread in another area, but for now, try a shift+right click to show more options.

Thanks saltgrass.

The suggestion did not work.:( I'll start a new thread.

Regards.

Dear friends:This is my first post. I hope I do it right.I recently bought an Asus U50F notebook. Pretty good so far. But for the past few days, the DVD/CD-ROM E: drive disappears from My Computer. I go to Device Manager and it shows as disabled (Code 22). I proceed to enable it, and it then shows under My Computer again (and works well). But a little while later, it happens again, and I must return to Device Mgr to enable it. This is a continuous issue. I get no help from googling. The drive is a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ892AS. I have Win7 Home Premium.Thanks,Hiram
Hi,I understood your problem,i am using acer 4820t notebook.in order to save the battery life they used a program to pause the optical drive function while running on battery.it will be resumed its functioning when i press the eject button and it shows in my computer.But it will not go to power save mode while charging.CHECK YOUR DRIVE WHEN YOU ARE CHARGING.if you have'nt noticed any change contact ASUS coustomer care ITS Absolutely not a problem.

Back