Windows 7 DVD drive issues

deadlee

I've looked on the forums but can't seem to find an answer to this. I finally got Windows 7 installed (took forever, thought it wasn't working, but left it for an afternoon and it eventually finished installing), but now I can't boot with my DVD burner connected. I just get the "Starting Windows" screen. It booted the first time after a reinstall, which make me think back to the install. ie. maybe if I left it for an hour or so it might actually get to a desktop.

I swapped out the DVD burner and put in my brothers DVD burner and the same thing happened, then I put in an old CD burner and she boots fine and the drive works.

I've updated my BIOS and flashed the DVD drive with the latest firmware but it still happens. I have my other HD with XP on it and it boots fine with the DVD drive connected so I'm really stumped.

Any advice you guys have would be much appreciated. I am gonna be upgrading my motherboard and RAM soon as I have a 1333FBS CPU on a 1066FBS board, but I wanna make sure I find out what is causing this so I don't by a board that gives me the same issue.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 2.33GHz
Asus P5LD2 Mainboard
2GB RAM DDR2 PC-4200
NVidia Geforce 9600 GT 512MB
120GB 7200RPM IDE HD
AOpen DUW 1608/ARR DVD Burner (Sorry don't have my bro's burner with me any more so can tell you the model)

FYI the CD drive is an LG GCE-8523B

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

After googling this drive it seems this is a common problem in Vista and Win 7.. I couldn't find any solutions of course but at least you know your not alone.. ;)

Which version was the Firmware you installed?

I installed the 1.11 firmware. But I guess I should have done the same research. No wonder I got this drive for $25. I tried to install vista a while back and couldn't. This was most likely my problem. Oh well, if I find the answer I'll post it here. Thanks

Back