Windows 7 Dynamic Disk Invalid

Yes, the hxD editor worked to fix the disk changing location Sector 0 location 1C2 from "42" to "07". Thank you bdonk!

Talking to the Dell service man, I received this solution.

he recommended that I just move all my data to my laptop while I reformatted the faulty HD. That, and transferring a lot of data with my flash drive, it all worked out. Not as timely a solution as I'd like, but permanent.

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for this helpful thread. I was working on a backing up a dying hard drive, found this post, and 2 minutes later I am in business. I wish I could give you a real cookie, but this will have to do.

chocolate-chip-cookie_01.jpg

Made an account to Say thanks HxD got me halfway there.

After I changed the 47 to 07, the disk was recognized as raw. I could see all the data was still there from HxD though.

After some googling I found a forum (wish I could give credit but lost it...) where a user recommended a program called TestDisk. The program was very easy to use, and works in multiple operating systems.

Just wanted to say thanks and hopefully pass on some useful information. Data loss is a great thing to avoid!

TestDisk - CGSecurity

Also registered to say a BIG THANK YOU to bdonk !!! I spend 5 days to looking the answers from the Web, and finally I got you answer using HxD !

Registered just so I could thank you bdonk! Thank you thank you. You saved me from total despair and now I type this on my recovered Win7 system! God bless!!!

Made an account to Say thanks HxD got me halfway there.

After I changed the 47 to 07, the disk was recognized as raw. I could see all the data was still there from HxD though.

Ohhh, I think you were supposed to change the 42 to 07. I believe there were three of them in that first sector. That could be why your file system was showing as raw instead of NTFS. I was so happy when my totally unbootable drive with lifeless alien looking partition just perfectly springed back to life. Well, the data was perfectly intact. Just had to follow step Three from this outstanding guide on repairing the bootloader using recovery dvd. Who would've thought simply converting my system drive to dynamic meant the worst MS Windows hell breaking loose...

=D>
I like other was also skeptical of following Bdonk's advice. I have been working on finding a solution for the entire weekend, including recovery programs and dynamic disk was my last option.
I decided to try the HxD fix first and I can't believe how easy and quickly this resolved my issue.
(For those of you still having trouble make sure you uncheck the "read only" box, just highlight the 42 and type 07.)

My 2TB drive is saved!!!:D
Thanks so much dude, you really should post your paypal account or something, there seem to be a lot of people with this issue and you helped us solve it so quickly.
:-bd

Re: A thanks and a question/problem

Dude, I love you.
Seriously, I do.

I've had exactly the same problem - and when I say exactly, I mean really - I'm using the same number and sizes of disks, only my 500gb disk was called E.
I spent like 3 hours looking for some solution for this problem, but I wasn't really able to find any. Then I found your post and you made my day, really. Huge thanks dude, I wasn't able to deal with the data loss.
Thank you!

[langtitle=it]Re: A thanks and a question/problem[/langtitle]

[lang=it]mi sono iscritto in questo momento per ringraziarvi , la soluzione proposta ha ridato vita al mio disco :)
grazie mille[/lang]

1 invalid disk with 2 partitions?

Hi
Thanks for this advice that I have followed using HxD that has partly solved the problem I have with trying to activate an invalid disk with 2 partitions insofar as when I followed the procedure only one of the partitions became active and the other partition remained invisible. Any suggestion about what I need to do to remedy this most welcome.

Here is the status of my current system:

1) HxD shows 2 physical drives "hard disk 1" and "hard disk 2"
My invalid HD "hard disk 2" has two partitions
2) I use HxD to change the 42 to 07, save, exit and reboot the HD
3) One of the 2 partitions opens normally, the other partition is invisible
4) Used HxD to change the 07 back to 42, save, exit and reboot .... back to where I started.

So not sure what to do?

Question: Is this problem caused by switching my OS from XP to Win7. I ask since if this is true and nobody can advise how to solve my problem I reckon I should be able to find another computer with XP, hook up and back up my "invalid" external HD that hopefully will run as normal on any computer with XP as it used to do before, then once back is done reformat my external harddrive with my Win7 system, right?

Last edited:
Re: A thanks and a question/problem

bdonk you're my savior :)
I've just installed a 3TB HD and suddenly one of my 1TB HD's was invalid and dynamic for some reason.
The HD was kinda full so I didn't wanted to loose the data on it.
A quick search on the net found this article and it fixed it straight away.

Just registered to say my thanks for this awesome solution.

PS: in my compmgtm it stated disk0 btw but in HxD it was Disk1 (Disk0 was not visibile, only Disk1 till Disk5)

hi there,

just downloaded the program HXD but got stuck )o; Really desperate due I have important data on the hard disk.
I just pulled out our 100 GB HD of our old computer and bought a external Storage case.
If I connect it to our Win7 notebook via USB 2.0 the same error appears in the disk manager invalid dynamic disk - option reactivate is not possible...

I don't know how to proceed with HXD . After opening it I can just open the USB HD because I can not find it. The only place I can see it at all is in the disk manager as invalid dynamic disk...

Please help....
Thanks
sven

Re: 1 invalid disk with 2 partitions?

I have the same problem as lowep! help!
I changed the hex value from 42 to 07 on hard disk 2. But the problem was that i had partitioned my external HDD of 1TB
into roughly 500 gb each. After i changed the values with HxD, only one partition was recovered and shows up in my computer the other is invisible.
Anybody know how to fix this issue?

Hi
Thanks for this advice that I have followed using HxD that has partly solved the problem I have with trying to activate an invalid disk with 2 partitions insofar as when I followed the procedure only one of the partitions became active and the other partition remained invisible. Any suggestion about what I need to do to remedy this most welcome.

Here is the status of my current system:

1) HxD shows 2 physical drives "hard disk 1" and "hard disk 2"
My invalid HD "hard disk 2" has two partitions
2) I use HxD to change the 42 to 07, save, exit and reboot the HD
3) One of the 2 partitions opens normally, the other partition is invisible
4) Used HxD to change the 07 back to 42, save, exit and reboot .... back to where I started.

So not sure what to do?

Question: Is this problem caused by switching my OS from XP to Win7. I ask since if this is true and nobody can advise how to solve my problem I reckon I should be able to find another computer with XP, hook up and back up my "invalid" external HD that hopefully will run as normal on any computer with XP as it used to do before, then once back is done reformat my external harddrive with my Win7 system, right?

Plug the drive into a Linux machine and it reads it with no problem whatsoever!!! (Windows 7 Pro refused to read it.)

Background : I was experimenting with Dynamic disks as part of my WHS 2011 setup. I created a 2-disk mirror to save all my pictures, music and home videos and wanted to make sure that I could read the remaining drive if one failed.

So before the server went 'live', I copied some test files over, shut down the machine, pulled out one of the drives in the mirror and plugged it into my Win7 laptop using a USB dock. Sure enough it was marked as 'Dynamic - invalid' in Disk Manager and unreadable.

Checked the forums (which brought me here) and was about to try some of the suggestions but then on a hunch I plugged the drive into my Linux box. Everything on the disk was immediately accessible, no questions asked. Hats off the guys and gals at Ubuntu.

For those who may be wondering - on completion of this experiment, I plugged the drive back into the WHS box and the mirrored volume showed up as 'Healthy'.

Registered just to post this info, hope it helps someone down the line.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This saved a lot of data!:thumbs_up:

I've been using Windows 7 for a while now but all the sudden I'm having an issue with one of my Hard Drives. I have a 320gig SATA as my primary system drive, a 500gig SATA data drive (this one is set to 'dynamic') and then an 120gig ATA drive (That I currently have no data on yet.)

For a couple of months now all was fine. My primary drive was assigned the letter C: (durr,) the 500gig was set to G: and the ATA was set to D:.

I have all of my music and stuff on my big drive, the 'dynamic' one. So I turn on my computer and click a shortcut to my music on my desktop and I get a message saying the link has no target, so I open My Computer and lo and behold, G: is gone. I go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and I see:

"Disk 0, (D) basic, healthy, primary partition"
"Disk 1, (C) basic, healthy, primary partition"
"Disk 2, (supposed to be G), dynamic, invalid"

When I right-click on it, I get the option to 'convert to basic disk' (lose all data on it,) or 'reactivate disk.' Selecting the latter option gives me the error "This operation is not allowed on the invalid disk pack."

Properties reports the device is working properly, my bios sees the drive as well...???
There is a tiny white bubble with a red down-facing arrow over the drive icon there too that's looking kind of bad...

Please help!

!!!FIXED!!! :razz:

I downloaded HxD, a disk hex editor and opened the disk in it. In sector 0, location 1C2, the value read "42." This means dynamic drive, so I changed the value to "07" and saved the changes and rebooted.

Upon reboot I went back to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and there it was, no longer 'invalid' but instead said 'healthy, NTFS, basic.' Glee!

I had to reboot again though for some reason because I was unable to change the drive's name (not path, just name) and also the drive was not appearing on the left in my library's window. After a 2nd reboot though it was back to the way it was and the disk is no longer dynamic.

I thought this was odd to begin with though because I used Windows7 to make that drive dynamic in the first place, so I have no idea as to why it would suddenly lose support for dynamic disks :confused:

Oh well, I'm happy.

For anybody that may be having the same issue, here's the link to the fix and the app: Convert Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk without data loss - Wilders Security Forums

Have followed all this with a similar problem and section 0 code at 1C2 reads EE, not 42 and have no idea what this means.
In device properties it indicates type dynamic and status invalid, partition style GUID Partition Table (GPT).
It is tempting just to change EE to 07 but am not sure. Your help deeply appreciated.
Thanks heaps.
This is re a Hitachi 500gb drive on a Win 7 HP 64bit setup. On a USB connection at present.

Last edited:
I did not get a comment but in case someone has similar issue with EE I bit the bullet replaced with 07 and bingo all OK.
But could not save data as could only do a format which was not an issue as all files on the HDD had been backed up.
So now have reinstalled and back to normal.
Trust helps someone.

HEY!
Even I have "EE" at 1C2. What do you mean by "But could not save data..." ?
My hard drive has really, really important data of 250GB approx. I don't have an external hard drive or something where I can keep my files.
Is it absolutely safe to type "07" at "EE" in 1C2?
Are you sure doing this would:\
1) Convert the disk from dynamic to basic.
2) Not lose any data at all.
3) Not arise the problem of invalid disk or something like that
?

Back