Windows 10 EE internet and wifi connection issues

Laula

My windows 10 laptop will only connect to my EE broadband through the Ethernet cable and not through wifi, any ideas?

I have a wireless router (I can connect to the wifi on my phone which is android) but not on the laptop

As long as is there isn't any mac filtering and you have the password, you should have no issues connecting to the wireless with the laptop. Some items to confirm.
  • When you are supplied with a list of SSIDs (wireless network names) do you see yours available?
    • If no, you will want to check and see that the router and your laptop both support at least 1 common wireless standard 802.11a,b,g,n,ac
    • That you have the wireless nic driver installed
  • If you can see the network are you able to attempt to connect and allowed to enter your password?
  • Does it show that it is connected, no !s or Xs on the wireless icon near the system time (bottom right)
  • At this point if you have been successful, open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and post a screen shot or the text at least

As long as is there isn't any mac filtering and you have the password, you should have no issues connecting to the wireless with the laptop. Some items to confirm.
  • When you are supplied with a list of SSIDs (wireless network names) do you see yours available?
    • If no, you will want to check and see that the router and your laptop both support at least 1 common wireless standard 802.11a,b,g,n,ac
    • That you have the wireless nic driver installed
  • If you can see the network are you able to attempt to connect and allowed to enter your password?
  • Does it show that it is connected, no !s or Xs on the wireless icon near the system time (bottom right)
  • At this point if you have been successful, open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and post a screen shot or the text at least
Hi
I can see the wifi connection but keeps coming up with an error message (see attached) it did connect earlier in week before windows update and haven't been able to connect through wifi since then only via cable but wifi only available on phone and not laptop. It allows you to put in password but keeps coming up with same error after doing this.
Thanks

Attachments

• screenshot of message.pdf
    102.3 KB · Views: 484
It needs the security key!
Look into your papers if you can find it. Otherwise you will have to open the Control page of your modem (with IE/Chrome/Edge) and see what is stored there.

Thanks but I have the password (and typing correctly) and still keeps coming up with same error

Based on the first screenshot you are not connected and Windows is asking for your wireless password. The ipconfig results just reiterate the fact. You are not connected to anything.

Is this really the output of "ipconfig /all" ? Weird....

The output of #5 says clearly that you communicated with the modem, but that it did not accept the password that was stored. The output of post #13 says that there is no connection what so ever.
If you really cleared the password and re-entered it in the modem then it can't be fault.

I don't follow it right now. Perhaps could you try it all over again followed by an "ipconfig /all" output?

Thanks for your help everyone I have finally got it work after switching router off, removing all settings and switching off laptop for a few hours still not sure what caused it but finally resolved.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom