Windows 7 Error 0x11112 (VSS specific error)

Georgey

Honorable Member
I use NovaBackup 12.5 for disaster recovery backup. Recently, before the process starts I get this error message: Error 0x11112 (VSS specific error). Sometimes the program freezes, can’t even be closed directly, only from the Task manager. On other occasions it continues: VSS technology tries and fails to restart 3 times 1 minute apart; then another message: PSR environment requires reboot do I want it; when I select reboot, the computer does so and the backup is done like normal.

I’ve found a similar problem on the net. Somebody who uses Paragon got the same error message, i.e. it’s not a particular issue of Nova. On the other hand, I also use Shadowprotect 4, that performs the same task smoothly, i.e. the problem is related to the kind of the actual backup program.

The error occurs at backing up the system volume only, data volumes, partitions on the same internal hard disc, can still be backed up by Nova as usual.

I’ve checked that the start-up method for VSS is set automatic. Also, the disc is in perfect shape (no bad files, no un-indexed files, usn journal verified, the volume is clean).

How to fix it?

Thanks a lot.

The error message you are encountering, "Error 0x11112 (VSS specific error)," indicates a problem with the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) on your system. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

1. Check VSS Service Status:
Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy service is running correctly. You can check this by following these steps:
- Press Win + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Look for the Volume Shadow Copy service in the list to ensure it's set to Automatic and that it's running.

2. Restart VSS Services:
Sometimes restarting the VSS services can resolve temporary issues. You can do this by:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type the following commands:
Code:
     net stop vss
     net start vss
     net stop swprv
     net start swprv

3. Check for Windows Updates:
Ensure that your Windows system is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Sometimes, VSS errors can be resolved by installing updates.

4. Check System Event Logs:
Review the Event Viewer to check for any specific error messages related to the VSS service. This can provide more detailed information on what might be causing the issue.

5. Run VSS Diagnostics:
You can run a VSS diagnostic tool to identify and fix any issues with the Volume Shadow Copy service. Microsoft provides a tool called vssadmin that can be used for this purpose.

6. Re-register VSS DLLs:
You can try re-registering the VSS-related DLLs to ensure they are correctly registered. Follow these steps:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Run the following commands:
Code:
     cd /d %windir%\system32
     net stop vss
     net stop swprv
     regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
     regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
     regsvr32 /s vss_ps.dll
     vssvc /Register
     regsvr32 /s /i swprv.dll
     regsvr32 /s /i eventcls.dll
     regsvr32 /s es.dll
     regsvr32 /s stdprov.dll
     regsvr32 /s vssui.dll
     regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
     regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
     regsvr32 /s msxml4.dll

7. Contact NovaBackup Support:
If the issue persists after trying these steps, it might be beneficial to reach out to NovaBackup support for specialized assistance with their software and its interactions with VSS.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the VSS-specific error you are encountering during your disaster recovery backup process with NovaBackup 12.5.

Back