Windows 7 error 124 crash when playing games and using photoshop

Annihilator

Hey,
I hope someone can help me here. Since a few days I started having bluescreens with the x124 Errorcode. Sometimes while playing Skyrim or streaming video via Air Video Server, but EVERYTIME I start up Battlefield 3.

I already tested my HDDs with Seatools, they passed all tests. I monitored the temperature, but at the time of the crash the GPU was at 75° Celsius and the CPU at 54°C which I think should still be alright. I don't have anything overclocked.

I'm using Windows 7 x64
Mainboard: gigabyte 890gpa udh3
8GB Corsair Ram with standard timings
Nividia GTX 470
AMD Phenom II x4 black edition 3,4 GHZ

I'm getting a bit desperate because this not only affects games but also working in photoshop. I'd be very grateful if someone could help me fix this. Thanks.

I attached the minidumps.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    65.9 KB · Views: 179
Hi Randy,
thanks a lot for your idea. Now my problem is that I have no idea what my voltage should be, and how far to bump it up. It would make sense though, because every time it crashes it's with high CPU load. (Bf3, live converting a video stream, etc).

How can I find out my proper voltage?

Edit: according to the bios my normal vcore is 1.4000V

Edit: CPU-Z says Core voltage "0.992V" but just now went up to "1.200V" for some reason. Is that the Vcore? Easytune6 says its 0.990V but that keeps on changing too, so not sure if it will be higher when playing. I'm kinda lost here. From what I read it seems 1.400V isn't too low, but I don't know.

Last edited:
According to AMD Link Removed due to 404 Error looks like 1.4 is max and anything more than that would fall to overclocking which is not my department.
Sounds like you have cool and quiet turned on. You might want to try disabling that feature and see if that makes any difference and make sure you have the latest BIOS installed.

Alright I disabled Cool and Quiet and now Easytune6 says the voltage is 1.390V. Is that too low, or just an inaccuracy? The BIOS is updated as well.

Edit: After disabling Cool and Quiet Battlefield 3 has been running for 25 minutes with no crash. I'll give this some more testing.

Last edited:
You may want to take some time and catch up these drivers to something a bit more current
Rt64win7.sys 2/26/2009 from here Realtek
wacommousefilter.sys 2/16/2007 Link Removed due to 404 Error
lirsgt.sys 5/17/2009
and
atksgt.sys 5/17/2009 both associated with Copy Protection platform dveloped by Tages SA TAGES, the AAA Copy Protection System
GEARAspiWDM.sys 5/18/2009 Driver updates - GEAR Software
All predate Windows 7 RTM and should be addressed either by updating, uninstalling or renaming and I will warn you in advanced, we have seen more than a few Blue Screens Associated with Easy Tune / AMD OverDrive (AODDriver2.sys).
I suspect that that 1.39 is relatively accurate and close enough to 1.4 although I would probably double check it with CPUz.
If Blue Screens persist;
Please read the first post in this sticky thread here How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
Do your best to accumulate the data required.
Run the SF Diagnostic tool (download and right click the executable and choose run as administrator)
Download and run CPUz. Use the Windows snipping tool to gather images from all tabs including all slots populated with memory under the SPD tab.
Likewise RAMMon. Export the html report, put everything into a desktop folder that you've created for this purpose, zip it up and attach it to your next post (right click it and choose send to, compressed (zipped) folder.
Additionally, if you haven’t already, please take some time and fill out your system specs in your forum profile area http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...you-filling-your-system-specs.html#post235529 .
Good luck
Randy

After I disabled cool & quiet battlefield 3 and skyrim ran for way longer. Now I just got a freeze while converting video. :(

After I disabled cool & quiet battlefield 3 and skyrim ran for way longer. Now I just got a freeze while converting video. :(
That's good to know. Thanks for posting back with that information.
Did the most recent freeze produce a crash or new dump file? What program were you using? Is it currently patched and updated?

No it did not produce a new minidump, but it also didn't show a bluescreen, everything just froze. I was using Air Video Server again, to see if my problem was fixed. It's a program that converts a movie on the fly and streams it to an iPad. It's the newest version, and I didn't have that problem before with it. I'm currently using that SF Diag Tool that you linked and will upload the result in a second.

Yes, I just now got the current one from Gigabytes website. But is it likely that has anything to do with it?

Do you want me to upload the stuff from the SF diag tool?

Last edited:
I believe the latest driver for your network adapter is located at this link here Realtek as best I can determine from what you have submitted in the way of attachments to this point.
As to whether or not it may be related to your most recent freeze, at this point I am just guessing, as I am not familiar with Air Server of what it does or how it actually works.

I don't think it's the fault of Air Video Server, the PC seems to crash or freeze under load no matter what. And since that 124 is said to be a hardware error I'm wondering if maybe something else is fried. I installed the driver from the site you linked now.

I don't think it's the fault of Air Video Server, the PC seems to crash or freeze under load no matter what. And since that 124 is said to be a hardware error I'm wondering if maybe something else is fried. I installed the driver from the site you linked now.
Not sure what I should take away from that statement. I thought you were making progress although now it seems that while it is not Blue Screening any longer it is locking up (freezing). Can you reliably make it do so with any other program other than Air Video Server?
There are a few programs which may help you zero in on potential hardware issues;
For testing your memory. Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+
For Testing your video card |MG| FurMark 1.9.2 Download
And for testing both CPU and memory Prime 95. Link to 64bit version Prime95 (64bit) - 25.11 Download - EXTREME Overclocking and there is a link on that page for the 32bit version if that is what you need.
Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Back