Windows 7 Error code 0x81000033 when using Win 7 backup

Docdrew

I have a 3 year old Alienware desktop running Win 7 Professional (see my profile for more computer specs). I have never had any major problem including running weekly backups to a second internal hard drive using Windows backup. About 3 weeks ago the backup failed and produced the mentioned error code. The description of the error is misleading and makes you think that you have insufficient room on your backup drive. I subsequently replaced the drive with a larger one but the problem persisted. I then researched (including here) the error code and found "solutions" that were all over the map including some frankly worthless responses. The most frequently described cause is attributed to lack of space in a 100 MB "system reserved" partition on the boot drive. When I checked my drive this partition was not present. I had an OS partition, a Recovery partition, and a 16 MB unlabeled partition. I thought that perhaps the 16 MB partition was supposed to be the 100 MB partition and, because it was too small, was causing the backup problem. I then took my computer to Data Doctors. They were unable to enlarge the 16 MB partition but created another 100 MB partition which they said would solve the problem but, you guessed it, it didn't. At this point I either need someone to solve the problem or start using a different backup program. Thanks.

I am fairly certain I do not know the answer to your problem. There might be one of several situations causing it. I think I remember doing scheduled backups and after a period it stopped with an error.

But I will ask some questions to see if anything turns up.

What is the current situation of your prior backups?

If you look at the Manage Space option in the Backup utility, does it show any problems with the space on the destination drives?

Are you managing what is being backed up and have checked to make sure it is not backing up something you do not need? At one time, I notice it would backup up the backups on the destination drive.

Have you tried turning off the backup schedule and then restarting it? Or just trying to do an image backup by itself?

If it were to be a space situation on your originating drive, how much space is left on the partitions on your SSD? Has the recycle bin been emptied lately?

The 16 GB partition might have the recovery files for your system in case of catastrophic failure. Is it part of your backup?

Maybe you could try modifying the partitions to be backed up or folders in the partitions to make it a smaller backup, for testing. Or possibly some file being backed up has gotten corrupted.

My system shows a MediaID.bin file along with the WindowsImageBackup and ComputerName File folder. I assume yours is still there?

I am fairly certain I do not know the answer to your problem. There might be one of several situations causing it. I think I remember doing scheduled backups and after a period it stopped with an error.

But I will ask some questions to see if anything turns up.

What is the current situation of your prior backups? They were deleted by Data Doctors so that the backup drive has maximum space available. They probably didn't think it was a problem since I could just create another backup. When I did try a new backup it DID back up my files but couldn't create a system image.

If you look at the Manage Space option in the Backup utility, does it show any problems with the space on the destination drives? No.

Are you managing what is being backed up and have checked to make sure it is not backing up something you do not need? At one time, I notice it would backup up the backups on the destination drive. It is only backing up what is needed.

Have you tried turning off the backup schedule and then restarting it? Or just trying to do an image backup by itself? Yes, I've tried restarting several times but the system image isn't created.

If it were to be a space situation on your originating drive, how much space is left on the partitions on your SSD? Has the recycle bin been emptied lately? Running disk management shows the following partitions: OS (C:) -- 229 GB; Recovery -- 4.87 GB; Unallocated -- 16 MB; Healthy (OEM partition -- created by Data Doctors) -- 109 MB; Unallocated -- 3.81 GB. Checking the C: drive by clicking on Start and then Computer shows 80 GB free of 229 GB. The recycle bin is empty.

The 16 GB partition might have the recovery files for your system in case of catastrophic failure. Is it part of your backup? It's 16 MB (not GB) and I don't know if it's part of the backup.

Maybe you could try modifying the partitions to be backed up or folders in the partitions to make it a smaller backup, for testing. Or possibly some file being backed up has gotten corrupted. I don't feel comfortable modifying partitions -- that's why I took it to Data Doctors.

My system shows a MediaID.bin file along with the WindowsImageBackup and ComputerName File folder. I assume yours is still there?
There's an Alienware folder and the MediaID.bin file but no WindowsImageBackup.

Back