Windows 10 Error Code: 0xc0000034 Boot Config Data?

KevinB370Z

Hello, I just recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 unfortunately. I had no problems for about a day or two. Then BAM! I now have a blue screen that says the following:

"Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.

File:\Boot\BCD
Error Code:0xc0000034

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc of USB device), contact your PC administration or PC/Device Manufacturer."

Now like most people I am not computer savvy and nor do I feel like shelling out $100 for some computer repair person to do 1 thing for it to work. This is an HP ENVY 4-1015DX and I have not had any problems with Windows 7 and have used high demanding programs in college with it and not a problem. I have a flash drive with Windows 10 on it, but it isn't pulling anything up when the computer turns on either. If anyone could help it would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

While this is fixable, it's probably not easy for even your run of the mill it shop guy.
  • You will need to create a recovery media (usb or disc) and you can create this from any Windows Vista or newer device
  • Go into Control Panel > Recovery and select "Create a recovery drive"
  • Boot to the recovery media on the computer with the issue you may need to go into BIOS to change the boot order
  • Once in the recovery media you will want to select command prompt
  • Type bcdedit and you should see at least two entries, one for the bootmgr and one for a windows bootloader
  • If you can get this far and post a screenshot of the BCD store I might be able to help you get it recreated

Yes I did do what the top comment says to do. It did not work. Now, when I restart the computer it doesn't even recognize that I have the media creation tool (this is what I meant that I have Windows 10 on the flash drive).

Hi Kevin! I'm going to let my friend neemobeer assist you with your issue.;)
I'm sure he Will-Get-er-Done for you.

While this is fixable, it's probably not easy for even your run of the mill it shop guy.
  • You will need to create a recovery media (usb or disc) and you can create this from any Windows Vista or newer device
  • Go into Control Panel > Recovery and select "Create a recovery drive"
  • Boot to the recovery media on the computer with the issue you may need to go into BIOS to change the boot order
  • Once in the recovery media you will want to select command prompt
  • Type bcdedit and you should see at least two entries, one for the bootmgr and one for a windows bootloader
  • If you can get this far and post a screenshot of the BCD store I might be able to help you get it recreated
This won't erase personal files on the Windows 10 Laptop will it? I have a Windows 7 also. I'm just nervous about the different OS.

So when I went to Control Panel>Recovery, it doesn't give me the option of "Create a Recovery Drive" the only option I get is "Open System Restore".

W10! Create Recovery Drive!!
Capture48.JPG

It's under Control Panel > Backup and Restore on 7, I think you may only be able to make a CD/DVD on 7

Hey holdum333 I said my laptop that is working is W7 not W10. And Neemobeer I apparently never set up Windows Backup, so I will be trying to set that up. Thanks.

You don't need a backup to create a recovery disc, it's also called something different in 7. I think it's System repair disc

Yes it's called System repair disc in W7. I have 5 of them in my desk drawer. If you're just wanting the op to get into the recovery mode, then post #6 might get them there!;)
Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10
1. Press and hold the power button on your PC until it powers off.

2. Press the power button on your PC to turn it on.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above until you see Please wait during boot like below. Usually it may take repeating up to 3 times. (see screenshot below)

Turning it on and off 3 times did not do anything :(
OK ! It was worth a shot! neemobeer is trying to help you fix your MBR. If you can't get to the recovery mode to do that, you may need to reinstall W10. If you can't create a Recovery drive or a System repair disk to get you into the recovery mode; I don't know!!

so if I understood you correctly you upgraded from 7 to window 10 and now you're stuck on recovery I believe I read something about you have a Windows 7 PC so you can create a repair disc i have a video for you that you can follow step-by-step how to create one in Windows 7 then you can put into your window 10 once you reach the point let us know will give a step-by-step guide to recovery

Hi Kevin,

Even though neemo said you won't lose any files if you use a repair disc or edit your BCD, or other stuff we are telling you to do--we are not recommending that you attempt any of these repairs WITHOUT BACKING UP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA FILES TO EXTERNAL MEDIA FIRST!!

Even though you shouldn't lose files 99% of the time; no repair process is 100% safe, and every time you attempt an OS level repair or recovery of any kind, you run the risk of irretrievable data loss. I do NOT work on any computer that I don't personally backup myself. I do NOT trust Customer's to backup their own computers, as 99% of them don't do it correctly, or at all.:rolleyes: You'd be surprised how many blank discs and flash drives Customer's give me that are supposed to have all their stuff backed up, but turn out to be completely empty, or worse corrupted beyond readability.o_O

The fact that you asked this question prompted me to write this, as if we don't tell you this and you do something wrong, and lose all your stuff you'll blame us and we certainly don't want that!:sosad:

So, I felt I just had to add that caution for you.

Best of luck with the repair!:encouragement:

If none of these things work, I have some other methods that may get you working again, so just post back.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom