Windows 7 Error joining Windows 7 RC Build 7100 to Win 2k3 domain

Davienkie

Hi all,

Has anyone installed Windows 7 RC 64 bit version, and having problem in joining to the domain win2k3?
Could someone share some light on the following problems:

I've entered my domain name (9 characters long) from the Computer Name/Domain Changes window.
Passed through the username/password, and then it say "Welcome to the xxx domain" When I click OK, the following error pop up:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to "blank" failed. The name will remain "(domain name.local)".
The error was:

The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have checked Win2k3 server, and notice that the new computer name is listed there, under the default computers OU.

It also asked me to restart the workstation that I have just join to the domain. BUT....

When the Control + Alt + Del window displayed, I am unable to login using the domain credential.
Error:
The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship.
So I have to login using the local windows credential.

Any help or assistance would be great.

Cheers,

Dave

I can't help you troubleshoot this directly but I can say that I was able to join my 64bit Windows 7 machine to my 2K3 domain without any issue at all. I would start by running some tests on your DCs to see if you have any DNS or other root problems. If you use the fully qualified name (ie somedomain.dom) does it work? I love some the features of my home AD network but AD is a monster to troubleshoot.

Can you create the computer object first and then join the system?

Unable to join domain from 64 bit Windows7

I have had the same problem and it is the same with Windows Server 2008 R2 and other 64bit version Windows.
I suggest the problem is with the ISA server that I am sure you have on your domain controller.
You need to go to ISA Server Management --> Add-ins --> Application Filters --> RPC Filter, right click the filter and disable it - select to stop and restart the ISA server service option when disabling the RPC filter.
In my case I also had to create a Firewall Policy to temporarily allow everything from all networks to all networks, effectively opening up the ISA firewall completely.
Make sure the Remote Proceedure Call services are running and then you should be able to join the domain.
Finally restore the ISA Server to its previous configuration.

Lets start from the basics,
1. Have you configured your NIC properly i.e., manually assigning the IP address and providing the Win2K3 IP address to the DNS field?
2. When you provide the domain name, just above that, is there a more button, where you have to specify the Primary DNS suffix name?

Your issue happened to me, when connecting my Vista and other XP client machines to my Win2K3 server. We fixed it by following the above solutions.

Check and let us know.

sterday I followed the same steps provided above..successfully connected to my Win2K3 domain.

Back