Windows 7 Error Message and Desktop/Start Menu Problems

StupidPlant

When I restarted my computer after running a check of the hard drive, I got a message that read "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable." The desktop had reverted to a default appearance and all the icons on it except for the recycle bin were gone. Under the Start Menu, the only program listed was Solitaire, though if I clicked "All Programs" at the bottom it did list them all. I read that it might be a registry issue, so I downloaded and ran "Free Windows Registry Repair", but when I restarted the computer afterwards I saw it did not fix the problem. I also read it could be an issue with "hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows NT\currentversion\profilelist". That did not come up when I ran the Registry Repair program, and I cannot get to regedit,because Run does not appear as an option when I type run in the search bar in the Start Menu.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

You can run regedit by typing regedit into the box where it says "Search programs and files."

You can run regedit by typing regedit into the box where it says "Search programs and files."

No, I can't. When I try to, it brings up a blank Start Menu, at the bottom of which it says "See more results". When I click that, it brings up an error message saying, "Windows cannot find 'search:query=regedit%20'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Did the chkdsk finish normally and continue the boot after it finished?

It would not hurt to run a System File Check. Open an administrative command prompt and type SFC /scannow and let it finish. Let us know if it finds any unrepairable errors.

To start the Command Prompt, go to C:\Windows\system32 and look for cmd.exe. Right click it and select "run as Admin".

Chkdsk did finish normally and continue to boot. I just ran SRC/scannow and it said, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I copied the Desktop folder from C:/users/StupidPlant to the ...systemprofile\ folder, which eliminated the "\Desktop refers to a location..." error but did not resolve the issue with my inability to run commands from the "Search programs and files" field. I now get an I icon in the quick launch area saying, "You have been logged on with the default profile for the system, please see the event log or contact your administrator." Also, twice during my efforts over the last day to resolve this issue, when the system booted, it would come to a black screen with only the cursor visible. I tried ctrl+alt+delete, which did bring up the usual screen, but anything I did from there went back to a black screen.

Unfortunately, the first step in that link to fixing the corrupted profile involves running a program from the search field under Start, which I can't do. Since I backed up most of my important data (but foolishly, not the entire system), I might just reinstall Windows altogether since I haven't tracked down any other way to resolve the problem completely yet.

Are you referring to opening the Users Folder? Open Explorer, click C: whatever it is named, then double click users and go from there.

There are many programs you can run from a Winkey+R window, or looking in the Windows folder and double clicking.

Back