Windows 7 Ethernet cable only works and lights up in minimal safe boot mode

Pundrew

Whenever I try and boot normally or in safe mode with networking, the ethernet port will not light up at all. When I boot in minimal safe mode, the green and blinking orange work perfectly fine. The realtek pcie gbe family controller driver installs perfectly, but In normal mode I would get code 31 in device manager. Also there is no local area connection in the adapters tab. And the realtek pcie gbe family controller is located located in the unknown tab in device manager. I need help ASAP as I have a research project to do!!! I'm pretty sure the problem started with me being dumb and thinking the pcie thing was for my old graphics card that I replaced and deleted that. The moment I deleted it the Internet cut off and will not reinstall or work anymore. Sorry if it's confusing

First go here
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
Grab the 4th one down labeled Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver 7.080 2014/3/24
Then
Driver Install - Manual Method

1. Download the driver and extract it to a folder.
  2. Open the Device Manager.
  3. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  4. Choose Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. Select Have disk...
  8. Select Browse..
  9. Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file (In some instances you may see an x64 and or an x86 folder use the correct one for you system architecture (64 bit or 32 bit)
  10. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.
  11. After it has installed, GoTo C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Locate the driver you've just updated, right click it and check the dates under its properties.

First go here
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
Grab the 4th one down labeled Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver 7.080 2014/3/24
Then
Driver Install - Manual Method

1. Download the driver and extract it to a folder.
  2. Open the Device Manager.
  3. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  4. Choose Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. Select Have disk...
  8. Select Browse..
  9. Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file (In some instances you may see an x64 and or an x86 folder use the correct one for you system architecture (64 bit or 32 bit)
  10. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.
  11. After it has installed, GoTo C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Locate the driver you've just updated, right click it and check the dates under its properties.
Did everything, still the same

Shucks.... was hoping that might do the trick. OK......
Try this:
Hold the Windows Logo Key and strike the R key and type
services.msc
into the run dialog box and hit enter
confirm that the following services are started, consider setting the startup type to automatic
Computer Browser
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Server
SSDP Discovery

As a last resort try resetting the Winsock Catalog and the TCP/IP stack
Click the start orb, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, click Run as administrator, and then press Continue.
Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Note If the command is typed incorrectly, you will receive an error message. Type the command again. When the command is completed successfully, a confirmation appears, followed by a new command prompt. Then, go to step 3.
Type exit, and then press ENTER.
SOURCE: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:
Click the start orb, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, click Run as administrator, and then press Continue.
At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Reboot the computer.
When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol.

SOURCE: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Shucks.... was hoping that might do the trick. OK......
Try this:
Hold the Windows Logo Key and strike the R key and type
services.msc
into the run dialog box and hit enter
confirm that the following services are started, consider setting the startup type to automatic
Computer Browser
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Server
SSDP Discovery

As a last resort try resetting the Winsock Catalog and the TCP/IP stack
Hmm seems to not work despite those steps. It's weird because the moment I boot and see the starting Windows animation, the light on the Ethernet turns off, but in safe mode it stays on completely.. Or is that normal? 0.o

Nope, nothing normal about the ethernet driver not loading.

If you have performed all the steps that I've outlined above including resetting the IP stack and WinSock Catalog then my suspicion would fall onto the card itself, which I assume, is integrated onto the motherboard.

You may want to consider something along these lines as a reasonably priced alternative
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127134
Seems to work well with Win7 and Win8.

Personally I would attempt to boot to a live Linux Distro on a thumb drive or DVD just to test and see if it is actually the card.
This is one I typically use in rescue, recovery, testing type situations.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2493

Nope, nothing normal about the ethernet driver not loading.

If you have performed all the steps that I've outlined above including resetting the IP stack and WinSock Catalog then my suspicion would fall onto the card itself, which I assume, is integrated onto the motherboard.

You may want to consider something along these lines as a reasonably priced alternative
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127134
Seems to work well with Win7 and Win8.

Personally I would attempt to boot to a live Linux Distro on a thumb drive or DVD just to test and see if it is actually the card.
This is one I typically use in rescue, recovery, testing type situations.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2493
But I don't understand how it could be the card itself because it was completely fine up to the point where I accidentally deleted the driver or whatever it was. I feel like maybe something is blocking the driver from running in normal mode while safe mode allows it to pass or be recognized normally.

What was the last thing you did before it happened?

In safe mode, the computer runs using only all the generic drivers that came with the PC ( hardware upgrades will not be accessible). If you installed or updated the driver for your network controller, you might wanna try uninstalling the driver from Device Manager then reboot the PC and let it find a driver by itself. If that didn't work, install the latest driver that you have just downloaded. Hopefully it is just a corrupt driver issue which is what code 31 is all about.

Can you post a screenshot of your network and sharing center screen?

What was the last thing you did before it happened?

In safe mode, the computer runs using only all the generic drivers that came with the PC ( hardware upgrades will not be accessible). If you installed or updated the driver for your network controller, you might wanna try uninstalling the driver from Device Manager then reboot the PC and let it find a driver by itself. If that didn't work, install the latest driver that you have just downloaded. Hopefully it is just a corrupt driver issue.

Can you post a screenshot of your network and sharing center screen?
The thing is, I remember having this exact issue around 2 years ago and forgot how I fixed it; needless to say it was not the card itself, nor the Ethernet cable. I've tried deleting and updating etc over and over again. The problem first started with me accidentally deleting the pcie gbe family controller from the device manager. The moment I did that, my Internet cut-off and now I'm stuck. Need this fixed in the next few hours so I can start my project. Thanks in advance for any more assistance

the computer itself (HP? ASUS?) and the model number. Or is it a build? and OS version.. (ex, Win 7 32 bit or 63 bit?).

Suggest going back to basics. The hardware is working if it works in (minimal) safe mode. Something is being loaded in normal mode that is causing the problem--a bad driver or a conflict. Boot in minimal safe mode and record what drivers and services are loaded when it is working. Then do the same in normal mode. Look at the relevant differences. For that matter, if it doesn't work in normal safe mode, compare that--less to compare.

Regarding Code 31, see if this is useful: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-31-error.htm

Couldn't hurt to try MS Fixit.

Last edited:
Whenever I try and boot normally or in safe mode with networking, the ethernet port will not light up at all.
Re-read the OP. No adapter working in normal boot or safe mode with networking boot. And lights not withstanding I can pretty much tell you that he isn't going to have a network connection in plain jane safe mode.

Back