Windows 7 Ethernet light/internet light rapidly flashing

BlackMailedAgai

Extraordinary Member
I have a Dell Inc. OptiPlex 7010 01 Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (because I cannot afford better). I have a wired connection to my router. Both my ethernet and internet light continuously flash. Recently my internet speed and dropped very low. Contacted ISP, they see no problem on their end. I have reset and rebooted the router and computer, several times. Drivers are all up to date. Cables and connections are good.

Not sure why the recent problems with browsing speed, but I have followed online help(s) to see if I could improve it. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding what I might check. I am not greatly experienced in this, so simple is better. Thanks for any help.

Locating a network problem requires a bit of deductive reasoning. You've already contacted your ISP, so that should eliminate the issue as a problem from your modem to the ISP CO.

The next step would be to rule out the router (if it is a separate device from the modem). If it is and you have a second device such as a smart phone you should do a speed test from the phone. You can use (Internet Speed Test). if the phone also does not work and you have a router that is separate from the modem then that would be the likely culprit. If the phone doesn't experience a slow down then the issue is likely localized to the computer.

Moving on to the computer. A few things to test.
  • Try doing speed tests from several different browsers
  • Try temporarily disabling and A/V or A/M you use
  • Try booting into safe mode w/networking and testing
  • If wired, try a different network cable

Locating a network problem requires a bit of deductive reasoning. You've already contacted your ISP, so that should eliminate the issue as a problem from your modem to the ISP CO.

The next step would be to rule out the router (if it is a separate device from the modem). If it is and you have a second device such as a smart phone you should do a speed test from the phone. You can use (Internet Speed Test). if the phone also does not work and you have a router that is separate from the modem then that would be the likely culprit. If the phone doesn't experience a slow down then the issue is likely localized to the computer.

Moving on to the computer. A few things to test.
  • Try doing speed tests from several different browsers
  • Try temporarily disabling and A/V or A/M you use
  • Try booting into safe mode w/networking and testing
  • If wired, try a different network cable
Safe mode w/networking has seemed to fix any issues. But I have no idea on where to proceed at this point. Well, I feel happy, yet stupid...I found a program on my computer that was continually accessing my router/modem and bogging down my browsing speed. Thanks again for your help and the spark that helped me look in the correct direction.

Last edited:
Try checking your internet speed with a third party application. Reset the modem, reset the computer, check the cable line. If this does not work, you should contact your service provider

Back
Top Bottom